How can I get excel to ignore formula in dependant cells...

  1. #1
    Ted
    Guest

    How can I get excel to ignore formula in dependant cells...

    Hi, I need to run a formula on cells which themselves contain formula. The
    second formula is subtracting, say, A1 from B1. The problem is when there are
    no answers in the dependant cells (A1, B1 or both) – it, as expected just
    gives a value of #VALUE!

    How can I get excel to ignore the formula and return the value of zero, when
    no data/numbers have been generated by the original/initial formula/dependant
    cells??

    Thanks in advance.

    Ted.

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Ted,

    =IF(ISERROR(sum(B1-A1)),0,SUM(B1-A1))

    Cheers,

    Steve

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: How can I get excel to ignore formula in dependant cells...

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:28:04 -0800, Ted <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi, I need to run a formula on cells which themselves contain formula. The
    >second formula is subtracting, say, A1 from B1. The problem is when there are
    >no answers in the dependant cells (A1, B1 or both) – it, as expected just
    >gives a value of #VALUE!
    >
    >How can I get excel to ignore the formula and return the value of zero, when
    >no data/numbers have been generated by the original/initial formula/dependant
    >cells??
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Ted.

    One thing you can do is to keep your problem in the same thread, so that people
    won't be wasting time posing solutions that you have tried but have already
    failed, for one reason or another.

    --ron

  4. #4
    Ted
    Guest

    Re: How can I get excel to ignore formula in dependant cells...

    sorry, I thought that once more messages had been added, older ones get moved
    to other pages, so are less likely to be seen - I tried to re-post one a
    couple of days ago using the " click this link to continue receiving
    notifications for this thread." thread, but received nothing from it (hence
    me assuming that once messages are pushed to page two onward they are not
    seen).

    Sorry about that - I'll make sure I keep to the original thread, to which
    you recently replied:

    Thanks, and sorry about that.

    Ted.

  5. #5
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How can I get excel to ignore formula in dependant cells...

    Hi Ted

    See answer posted to your earlier thread.

    Regards

    Roger Govier