Excel Help File Problems

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    Wisconsin
    MS-Off Ver

    Excel Help File Problems

    Our company is using Office 2000 on Window 2000 / NT OS.

    I recently had some issues and had to have my hard drive re-imaged.

    I am a relative novice with Excel VBA and rely heavily on the VBA Help files. Unfortunately the hot links on the top of the help pages are missing and there is only a placeholder (small square box shaddow with a dot in the middle).

    These use to have hot links such as "See Also", "Examples", Methods", etc.

    Most of the hot links embedded withing the text of the help files do not work either. A common error message that appears would be:

    "An error has occurred in the scrpt on this page"
    "Error: Object doesn't support this property or method"
    "Error Code: 0"

    And then asked "Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?"

    Our company Help Desk has worked on this off and on since July with no results as yet.

    I was hoping someone might have an idea of how to get my help file functional again.
    Thanks!
    Dennis

    I am using Windows 7 and Office 2007, all of my posts are based on this.

  2. #2

    Re: Excel Help File Problems

    DCSwearingen wrote:

    > Our company is using Office 2000 on Window 2000 / NT OS.
    >
    > I recently had some issues and had to have my hard drive re-imaged.
    >
    > I am a relative novice with Excel VBA and rely heavily on the VBA Help
    > files. Unfortunately the hot links on the top of the help pages are
    > missing and there is only a placeholder (small square box shaddow with
    > a dot in the middle).

    This problem is described in Knowledge Base article 822989
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822989). If installing Critical
    Update 811630 or Service Pack 4 isn't an option for you -- or if the
    problem persists after you install these items -- then you could try
    re-registering the HTML Help ActiveX control. (This is the component
    responsible for the links in the help files.) To re-register the
    control, open a Command Prompt window and type these two commands:

    regsvr32 /u %windir%\system32\hhctrl.ocx
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hhctrl.ocx

    --
    Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)

  3. #3
    abi
    Guest

    Re: Excel Help File Problems

    Hi I'm New and i am in serious need of help with excel. Im not sure
    if im in the right spot!

  8. #8
    Fredrik E. Nilsen
    Guest

    Re: Excel Help File Problems

    On 23 Nov 2005 09:56:43 -0800, "abi" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi I'm New and i am in serious need of help with excel. Im not sure
    >if im in the right spot!

    You are also in serious need of help with posting in newsgroups but
    we'll get to that later. What do you need help with?

    --
    Fredrik E. Nilsen