Common Numbers Formula

  1. #1

    Common Numbers Formula

    I wonder if anyone has tried this before i have a large spreadsheet of numbers which i need to find the most common numbers that appear in the tabel so i am looking for a formula that will calculate one column at a time.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Brad

  2. #2
    windsurferLA
    Guest

    Re: Common Numbers Formula

    bradrob wrote:
    > I wonder if anyone has tried this before i have a large spreadsheet of
    > numbers which i need to find the most common numbers that appear in the
    > tabel so i am looking for a formula that will calculate one column at a
    > time.
    >

    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Brad

    seems to me that you want to construct a histogram. I believe Excel has
    a built in histogram routine.

  3. #3
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Common Numbers Formula

    If your numbers are in column A ( say A1:A100 )then =MODE(A1:A100) will give
    you the most common number.
    --
    Gary's Student

  4. #4
    windsurferLA
    Guest

    Re: Common Numbers Formula

    bradrob wrote:
    > I wonder if anyone has tried this before i have a large spreadsheet of
    > numbers which i need to find the most common numbers that appear in the
    > tabel so i am looking for a formula that will calculate one column at a
    > time.
    >

    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Brad

    Expanding on my original reply...

    You need to first load the analysis toolpack by going to tools / Add-ins
    and selecting "Analysis Toolpack"

    Then you need to follow instructions under Tools | Data Analysis |
    Histogram.

    Before it will generate the histogram, you need to indicate the size of
    the bins into which the data tallies are to be placed. For example, a
    table showing 100, 1000, 10000 would have three bins, for number of
    occurances of under 100, for number of occurances over 100 by under 1000
    , and so on.

  5. #5

    Worked Great

    That all worked greast, done exactly what i needed.

    thanks
    Brad