Number formating

  1. #1
    croozer
    Guest

    Number formating

    I have a column of numbers, all 6 digit. Some of the numbers are six digit
    with a dash in between the third and fourth digit

    Ex.
    123-456
    122-451
    233-564

    ....and so on

    Is there a way to remove the dashes from these numbers that have dashes and
    leave the other ones alone? What I want is this column to not have any
    dashes.
    is concentate the formula to use??

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Number formating

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:01:05 -0800, "croozer"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a column of numbers, all 6 digit. Some of the numbers are six digit
    >with a dash in between the third and fourth digit
    >
    >Ex.
    >123-456
    >122-451
    >122771
    >122458
    >233-564
    >
    >...and so on
    >
    >Is there a way to remove the dashes from these numbers that have dashes and
    >leave the other ones alone? What I want is this column to not have any
    >dashes.
    >is concentate the formula to use??
    >
    >Thanks

    =SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","")

    --ron

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Use this formula in adjacent column,

    =SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-",""), where A1 contains the first value to check for dashes.

  4. #4
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Number formating

    Use find/replace:

    1. Select the cells you want updated ( or the whole column)
    2. Pull-down Edit > Find and enter the - in the findwhat field
    3. Click on the Replace tab and enter nothing in the replacewith field
    4. Click Replace All
    --
    Gary's Student

  5. #5
    croozer
    Guest

    Re: Number formating

    Wow, what a fast response, thanks a whole bunch!