IF function with value_if_true and value_if_false as equations

  1. #1
    emrobertson
    Guest

    IF function with value_if_true and value_if_false as equations

    =IF(C9="S",(D9-F9),(F9-D9))
    What I'm trying to accomplish is if I am "short", 'C" column, a contract,
    then subtract my exit price, 'F' column, from my entry price, 'D' column. If
    I am not "short", then I would like to subtract D from F. As I have this
    function written, the answers it shows are not the answers to the equations
    in paranthesis but the first value in the equations i.e. if C9 does equal S
    then the answer given is D9 not D9-F9
    Excel 2002 (10.2614.2625)

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Are all your cells formatted as numbers?

    What result do you get if C9 is not "S"?

  3. #3
    emrobertson
    Guest

    Re: IF function with value_if_true and value_if_false as equations

    All the cells in column C are letters, either S for short, or L for long

  4. #4
    emrobertson
    Guest

    Re: IF function with value_if_true and value_if_false as equations

    I had values in all columns, C, D, and F. C is a letter and D, F are numbers.
    I wrote my initial equation =IF(C9="S",(D9-F9),(F9-D9)) after having several
    rows worth of data. Except for the actual row in which I tried my equation.
    I left out the F column number. All said and done, the function works. I am
    just an idiot for not checking all the fields first.
    Thanks for trying to help me Vito.