Convert xls to txt

  1. #1

    Convert xls to txt

    I have been converting an XLS csv file to a txt file, by simply renaming the extension. Now I want to do the same on XP and the file name changes but it still stays as an XLS icon. How do I do that ?

  2. #2

    Re: Convert xls to txt

    First, I'd double check to see if you have extensions showing for all the files.

    Open windows explorer
    tools|folder options|view tab
    make sure "hide extensions for know file types" is not checked.

    (I guessing that your file may be named xxx.csv.csv and you've changed it to
    xxx.txt.csv, but you can't see the real extension.)

    If that's true, then just turn off that setting and rename the file.

    If that's not true, then I think this is more of a windows problem than excel.
    (I renamed book1.csv to book1.txt and the icon changed to Notepad for me (winXP
    Home).)

    Try shift-rightclick on any .txt file. Choose "Open With". Browse for
    Notepad--or your favorite text editor.

    Make sure "always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is
    checked.

    I'm hoping that Notepad takes back the .txt extension and windows uses the icon
    for Notepad.

  3. #3
    Thats It !!! Thank you

  4. #4

    Re: Convert xls to txt

    Glad you got it fixed, but which one was it? (Just curious)