Client Access to iSeries Automation

  1. #1
    Leslie
    Guest

    Client Access to iSeries Automation

    I have installed an add-in for the transfer of data from my excel data to
    iSeries. Every time I upload the data to iSeries, I have to select the data
    range on the sheet and click "Data"->"Transfer Data To iSeries". As I have
    several tables of data needed to upload in the sheet, I have to perform the
    this procedure repeatedly. In order to save time, I'm trying to make use of
    Macros to create a button with lines of code which automatically perform the
    above action when I press the button. However, I'm not that familiar with
    Excel Macro, I just couldn't find the add-in in the Object Browser and I
    don't know the exact syntax to perform this function.
    Can anybody help??

    Thanks,
    Leslie

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Client Access to iSeries Automation

    Try turning on the macro recorder and do the steps manually, turn it off
    and see what code you have.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Leslie
    Guest

    Re: Client Access to iSeries Automation

    Bob,

    Thanks for your reply. I tried to use the Macro recorder before. But it
    didn't work out correctly. It only recorded down the first step of data range
    selectioin I performed. For the next step, click "Data"->"Transfer Data To
    iSeries", it had nothing mentioned about it. I wonder if it is because the
    Macro recorder cannot record procedures that involves the use of add-in
    features. I'm trying to see if I could get this done by manual coding. But
    the thing is I even couldn't see the add-in in the Object Browser.

    Thanks,
    Leslie

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Client Access to iSeries Automation

    Leslie,

    I know nothing of the product, but I suggest that you contact the vendor and
    see if it can be done. I did a quick Google on iSeries but there was nothing
    that really answered your question.

  5. #5
    Leslie
    Guest

    Re: Client Access to iSeries Automation

    Bob,

    I will try to contact the vendor. Thanks for your help!
    I really appreciate it.

    Thanks,
    Leslie

  6. #6
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Client Access to iSeries Automation

    If the iSeries commands are on a toolbar you should be able to see the names
    of the routines called by right-clicking anywhere on a toolbar and choosing
    "customize". Then right-click on the iSeries button in question and see if
    there is an "assign macro" option: this should give you a name you can use
    in an "Application.Run..." call after you've selected each range.

    Tim

    --
    Tim Williams
    Palo Alto, CA

  7. #7
    Vic Eldridge
    Guest

    RE: Client Access to iSeries Automation

    Hi Leslie,

    The following macro might give you somewhere to start. It selects 3
    different ranges and clicks the toolbar button for each range. If your
    tables are dynamic (ie they change in size from day to day) , post back with
    more details on their size and postion. Also post back if you don't know how
    to run the macro from a button.

    Regards,
    Vic Eldridge

    Sub SendMultipleRangesToiSeries()

    Range("A1:C10").Select
    Application.CommandBars("Data").Controls("Transfer Data To
    iSeries").Execute

    Range("E1:H22").Select
    Application.CommandBars("Data").Controls("Transfer Data To
    iSeries").Execute

    Range("J1:P13").Select
    Application.CommandBars("Data").Controls("Transfer Data To
    iSeries").Execute

    End Sub

  8. #8
    Leslie
    Guest

    Re: Client Access to iSeries Automation

    Tim,

    Thanks for your reply. Your method works well. I successfully called out the
    dialog box. But I would like to automate two more steps to complete the
    transfer of data to iSeries. After the dialog box came out, I have to do two
    things:

    1. I have to click "Browse" to browse for the predefined Request template
    file I made before to use it to connect to the iSeries.

    2. I have to click "OK" to run the transfer.

    Is there any way for me to pass parameters to automate these two steps so
    that the user don't have to do anything for each request??

    Thanks,
    Leslie

  9. #9
    Leslie
    Guest

    RE: Client Access to iSeries Automation

    Vic,

    Thanks a lot for your kind reply!
    I successfully called the dialog box out. But I would like to automate two

  10. #10
    Leslie
    Guest

    RE: Client Access to iSeries Automation

    Hi Vic,

    Thanks a lot for your reply!
    I'm able to call out the dialog box using your method. But I would like to

  11. #11
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Client Access to iSeries Automation

    It's likely that your only approach may be SendKeys. It's not recommended
    in cases where an alternative method is available, but in your case it might
    be the only solution.

    Check out the Help docs on SendKeys. Might be tricky to assign the file
    though, unless there's a direct "text" input where the filename/path can be
    typed.

    Tim.

    --
    Tim Williams
    Palo Alto, CA

  12. #12
    London, Ontario

    Client Access to iSeries Automation

    Hi Tim and Leslie

    Your message thread has been of great assitance to me.

    The only difference I am transferring data from the iSeries instead of to it.

    You helped me to discover how to open the dialog box via a macro.

    Application.Run "fShowTToDialog"

    I too would like to somehow pass the name of the file to open into the dialog box without using browse and pressing ok.

    The data transfer information is saved in a file with the path
    "C:\program files\ibm\client access\transfer.dtf"

    Any assistance would be appreciated.

    Jim Palmer