An FAQ that never seems to be answered: autofiltering with protection on...

  1. #1

    An FAQ that never seems to be answered: autofiltering with protection on...

    Hey everybody,

    I just did a quick search on this topic and found multiple posts, but none answered my particular question. Here's the situation:

    I'm using Microsoft Excel 2003.

    I have created an autofilter for a cell range and then protected the sheet with the "Use Autofilter" box marked. The autofilter seems to be functioning properly with one exception:

    It won't let me use either the "Sort Ascending" or "Sort Descending" features in any column. Instead, I receive the standard cell protection error message:

    The cell or chart you are trying to change is protected and therefore read-only.

    To modify a protected cell or chart, first remove protection using the Unprotect Sheet command (Tools menu, Protection submenu). You may be prompted for a password.
    I have tried
    • unlocking all cells in the filter,
    • unlocking the header cells,
    • limiting the filter to 10 rows and unlocking row 11, and
    • allowing various other permissions with protection.

    Does anyone know how to fix this? ideally, without leaving the cells unlocked?

    Thanks in advance,

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: An FAQ that never seems to be answered: autofiltering with protectionon...

    The entire list, including heading cells, would have to be unlocked, in
    order to sort on a protected sheet.
    Enable Sort and Autofilter when you protect the sheet.

    JLC wrote:
    > Hey everybody,
    >
    > I just did a quick search on this topic and found multiple posts, but
    > none answered my particular question. Here's the situation:
    >
    > I'm using Microsoft Excel 2003.
    >
    > I have created an autofilter for a cell range and then protected the
    > sheet with the "Use Autofilter" box marked. The autofilter seems to be
    > functioning properly with one exception:
    >
    > It won't let me use either the "Sort Ascending" or "Sort Descending"
    > features in any column. Instead, I receive the standard cell protection
    > error message:
    >

    >>The cell or chart you are trying to change is protected and therefore
    >>read-only.
    >>
    >>To modify a protected cell or chart, first remove protection using the
    >>Unprotect Sheet command (Tools menu, Protection submenu). You may be
    >>prompted for a password.

    > I have tried
    >
    > - unlocking all cells in the filter,
    > - unlocking the header cells,
    > - limiting the filter to 10 rows and unlocking row 11, and
    > - allowing various other permissions with protection.
    >

    > Does anyone know how to fix this? ideally, without leaving the cells
    > unlocked?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List