US dates to UK??

  1. #1
    Bill
    Guest

    US dates to UK??

    I have an Excel 2003 spreadsheet that has a column full of dates. I have no
    control over how the spreadsheet has been configured.

    The dates are in an American format but I am in the UK and my laptop is
    configured for uk dates.

    I have noticed that cells that contain dates that would be illegal in uk
    format i.e. '10/29/04 10:36' are formatted 'General'

    Dates that are legal in the uk format i.e. 12/8/05 11:23 are formatted
    'Custom dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm'.

    I have failed to get the dates to read in the uk format i.e. using the above
    examples:-

    10/29/04 needs to be 20 April 2004 and
    12/8/05 needs to be 8 December 2005.

    In the first example I cannot extract a serial because it is seen as text.
    In the second any conversion is coming out as 12 August 2005.

    I am not worried about the time, I just need the date.

    I know that I am probably missing something silly here but ban anyone give
    me a pointer on how to get these dates to read as I need please.

    Regards.
    Bill.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Try:

    =TEXT(A1,"dd mmmm yyyy")

  3. #3
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: US dates to UK??

    Hi Bill,

    It looks like the dates were already no "real" Excel dates; otherwise they
    would have been converted (not really, shown actually) as UK dates.
    Did you import the dates? If so, probably as a .csv file. Better do that as
    a .txt file; that gives you the opportunity to tell Excel what type of dates
    they are

    Your example: 10/29/04 needs to be 20 April 2004 was probably not right?

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:e%23WAJ$%23%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Bill
    Guest

    Re: US dates to UK??

    Sorry Niek, the 20 April 2004 was a complete mess up, it should read 29
    October 2004.

    You are right about the csv file element. I have a downloaded vbs script to
    convert a log file that is in a very poor format to a csv file that can be
    opened and in Excel and far better formatted. Hence I cannot change how it
    is doing things.

    Will try renaming the file as txt as you suggest and see what happens.

    Regards.
    Bill.

    news:u$ddMZ$%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    vezerid
    Guest

    Re: US dates to UK??

    Bill,
    if your date/times are imported as text, then the following formula
    will do (assuming dates are past Y2K).
    =DATE(VALUE(20&MID(A1,FIND("/",A1,FIND("/",A1)+1)+1,FIND("
    ",A1)-FIND("/",A1,FIND("/",A1)+1)-1)),LEFT(A1,FIND("/",A1)-1),MID(A1,FIND("/",A1)+1,FIND("/",A1,FIND("/",A1)+1)-FIND("/",A1)-1))

    HTH
    Kostis Vezerides