How can I track the chart mouse events?

  1. #1

    How can I track the chart mouse events?

    Hi,
    I am using some charts embedded in Excel worksheets and I need to track the selection and mouse events. The Chart element is contained in a ChartObject container. Both Chart and ChartObject can be selected by user. When user clicks a chart, the Chart object is selected and the Chart class provides events for selection and mouse actions. If the CTRL key is pressed before clicking the chart, the ChartObject is selected and the context menu and the wire frame are different, the ChartObject does not provide any event because it is an interface rather than a class. Can you give me a clue how can I track the mouse and selection events when the ChartObject is selected? My purpose is to create a custom context menu that will be displayed any time the user right clicks the chart, even if the chart is part o a multiple selection.
    Thank you,
    George

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: How can I track the chart mouse events?

    I believe the chart is selected in shape edit mode at that point and as you
    say, doesn't fire events.

    Tom Ogilvy

    "george_scortaru"
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Peter T
    Guest

    Re: How can I track the chart mouse events?

    Hi George,

    Maybe you could also add a button to the "Shapes" popup commandbar to cater
    for when chartobject(s) is/are selected. If user clicks your button would
    need to ensure it only works with charts.

    To add right click item for whenever user right-clicks on a chart would
    involve adding (& removing) buttons to all the chart right-click popups,
    here are some to consider -

    Chart
    Floor and Walls
    Format Axis
    Format Data Series
    Format Legend Entry
    Formula Bar
    Inactive Chart
    Object/Plot
    Plot Area
    Series
    Trendline

    Regards,
    Peter T

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: How can I track the chart mouse events?

    In the scenario provided (using ctrl+click), none of the popups in your
    second suggestion would appear.

    Tom Ogilvy

    "Peter T" <peter_t@discussions> wrote in message
    news:OxP$h8$%[email protected]...
    > Hi George,
    >
    > Maybe you could also add a button to the "Shapes" popup commandbar to

    cater
    > for when chartobject(s) is/are selected. If user clicks your button would
    > need to ensure it only works with charts.
    >
    > To add right click item for whenever user right-clicks on a chart would
    > involve adding (& removing) buttons to all the chart right-click popups,
    > here are some to consider -
    >
    > Chart
    > Floor and Walls
    > Format Axis
    > Format Data Series
    > Format Legend Entry
    > Formula Bar
    > Inactive Chart
    > Object/Plot
    > Plot Area
    > Series
    > Trendline
    >
    > Regards,
    > Peter T
    >
    > "george_scortaru"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Peter T
    Guest

    Re: How can I track the chart mouse events?

    My understanding is the OP wants to cater for any right click on a chart.
    The list of popups in the "second" suggestion may be activated when user
    clicks somewhere on the chart that was not selected as a chartobject with
    Ctrl.

    However to add or correct from my previous post -

    The "Shapes" bar is only useful if multiple chartobjects (shapes) are
    selected. For a single chartobject it would be the "Inactive Chart" bar.

    regards,
    Peter T

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: How can I track the chart mouse events?

    It appears he knows how to do that except in the stated case:

    >When user clicks a chart, the Chart object is selected and the

    Chart class provides events for selection and mouse actions.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:%[email protected]...