How do I delete part of a text string in every cell it appears in

  1. #1
    Chacky
    Guest

    How do I delete part of a text string in every cell it appears in

    I need to delete just part of a text string that will appear in many
    different cells.

    For example. 1234-DAW001 5678-DAW001 8254-DAW001 etc etc

    Is it possible to delete the DAW001 reference in each cell but leave the
    number alone, without going into each individual cell. Would this require a
    Macro?

    I have 1900 cells that have text strings like this and I would like to
    change them all to the first 4 digits only

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: How do I delete part of a text string in every cell it appears in

    Try this:
    Select your range
    Edit>Replace
    Find what: -*
    Replace with: (leave this blank)
    Click the [Replace All] button

    If that goes REALLY WRONG....Edit>Undo

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    One possibility is to add a column (perhaps temporarily) and enter the formula =Left(A1,4), where A1 contains the first item to convert, then you copy down the formula as far as needed.

    Then you can hide the original or you can Copy - Paste Special Values your new results over the originals and then delete the temporary column.

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I delete part of a text string in every cell it appears in

    How about Data>Text to Columns>Delimited by "-"

    Skip the right-hand column by "do not import"

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP