change date based on time

  1. #1

    Unhappy change date based on time

    i am pulling in a report which has a date and time of the entry in Column A...for ex 12/12/05 11:52 PM.

    I have another column (Column B) which pulls in the date from Column A..so it would be 12/12/05.

    Column C has the time...so it would be 11:52 PM.

    But now I want to add an hour to the time...so 11:52 PM would become 12:52 AM.
    This I can do, but since the day changed, I want to be able to change the date from 12/12/05 to 12/13/05 in Column B.

    So essentially in the original column, if the time is 11:00 PM (since I will be adding a hour to make it 12:00 AM of next day) or later than I want to add a day to Column B.

    I tried an if statement, so if the time was 11:00 PM or later it would add another day, but that only works for that day since Excel uses serial numbers for date/time.

    It probly is something simple, but I just cant figure it out.

  2. #2
    ScottO
    Guest

    Re: change date based on time

    One way ... wherever you refer to the date/time in Col A, to be e.g.
    =A5+Time(1,0,0). That will add the hour, then when you apply a
    function like Day, it will use the adjusted date/time instead of the
    original.
    Rgds,
    ScottO

    "kdp145" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: change date based on time

    Here's one suggestion. I don't know how you are separating the date and time,
    but one way is this:

    With the time in A2, in B2 =INT(A2) and format as a date; in C2 =MOD(A2,1) and
    format as a time (or you could just use the formula =A2 in B2 and C2 and
    format appropriately).

    If cell A3 is to have the hour added, in cell A3, =A2+1/24 and copy the
    formulas in B2 and C2 down 1 row.

    Or, if you don't want to see the new time in A3, change the formulas in B3 and
    C3 to

    =INT(A2+1/24) and =MOD(A2+1/24, 1)

  4. #4
    ok i did the exact same thing before adding the hour to the original field thinking that it was going to add a day automatically if i added the hour...but it doesnt.

    i took column A and added a hour and formatted it as time so it changed from 11:52 PM to 12:52 PM.

    Now i took this column and formatted it as date and got 1/1/00 instead of 12/13/05.

  5. #5
    update:
    ok so i found the problem that was causing the date to change to 1/0/00. i did not tell you guys that i was actually rounding the time by quarter hour and then adding an hour.

    the problem is when i round the time to quarter hour, the date changes to 1/0/00. so the problem with the dates is because of the rounding and not becasue of adding an hour.

    just to test, i tried adding a hour and that indeed changed the date.

  6. #6
    update2:

    i finally figured out how to solve the problem.

    if anybody cares to know, here is how i solved it:
    Column A containes original date and time.
    Column B has the date (if the original time is between 10:46PM and 11:59PM, then i want to add a day to the original date).
    Column C has the time (original time + rounding to quarter hour + another hour)

    note: you cannot change the date by taking Column C because when you round the minutes, the date gets changed to 1/0/00, so even if you add a day it will be 1/1/00.

  7. #7
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: change date based on time

    You evidently added an hour to a cell that contained only the time, 11:52 PM,
    without the date. My instructions were to add an hour to the cell that
    contains BOTH the date and the time.

  8. #8
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: change date based on time

    So is this the correct statment of the problem?

    A2 contains a date and time.
    You want to round that date/time to the nearest 15 minutes, then add 1 hour.
    B2 should contain the date only for that rounded and incremented date/time.
    C2 should contain the time only for that rounded and incremented date/time.

    in B2: =INT(A2)+(C2<MOD(A2,1))
    in C2: =MOD(ROUND(A2*96,0)/96+1/24,1)

    Format B2 as a date; format C2 as a time.

    or, in B2 put the formula

    =ROUND(A2*96,0)/96+1/24

    in C2, =B2

    and format these cells to show only the date or time. Note that the value in
    both cells will be the date+time.

    In fact I'm curious as to why you want to split the date and time into 2
    separate cells in the first place. You can keep the entire value in one cell
    and format it to show, e.g. 12/13/2005 10:52 PM