Hiding sheets - Impact on Speed

  1. #1

    Hiding sheets - Impact on Speed

    I've goneback to working on a spreadsheet recently where I had several sheets hidden. After unhiding some of these I noticed that the calculation (on automatic) was a lot slower after doing this.

    I'm surprised that this has such an impact. Does anyone know if it actually is a feature of excel?

    also, is there anyway of releasing all hidden sheets in one go or can it only be done one by one?

    many thanks

    tm

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Hiding sheets - Impact on Speed

    I've never heard of the visible state of worksheets affecting calc speed.

    You need a macro to unhide worksheets all at once:

    Sub UnhideSheets()
    Dim WS As Worksheet
    For Each WS In Worksheets
    WS.Visible = xlSheetVisible
    Next

    Jim
    "Timmy Mac1" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Hiding sheets - Impact on Speed

    < I've never heard of the visible state of worksheets affecting calc speed>

    Well, there are some effects, although I don't know about this one.

    If you have a large worksheet, like a 40 year financial projection with one
    row per month, and you split the window to be able to see the start line
    together with the bottom line, it takes almost
    twice as long to calculate as without the split.
    It seems as if Excel thinks it has to format all the rows for display
    instead of just one screeenful.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:eKcT%23x%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Hiding sheets - Impact on Speed

    This used to be the case in older versions of Excel; I can't remember which
    ones.

    With Excel 2003 I cannot reproduce this effect.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Hiding sheets - Impact on Speed

    >>This used to be the case in older versions of Excel; I can't remember
    >>which

    ones.

    I don't doubt it, Niek. It makes sense in a way that what you've seen could
    happen. It's less clear to me how worksheet tabs being visible as in the
    OP's case would affect performance but anything is possible.

    --
    Jim
    "Niek Otten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | This used to be the case in older versions of Excel; I can't remember
    which
    | ones.
    |
    | With Excel 2003 I cannot reproduce this effect.
    |
    | --
    | Kind regards,
    |
    | Niek Otten
    |
    | "Niek Otten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:%[email protected]...
    | >< I've never heard of the visible state of worksheets affecting calc
    speed>

    | > Well, there are some effects, although I don't know about this one.
    | >
    | > If you have a large worksheet, like a 40 year financial projection with
    | > one row per month, and you split the window to be able to see the start
    | > line together with the bottom line, it takes almost
    | > twice as long to calculate as without the split.
    | > It seems as if Excel thinks it has to format all the rows for display
    | > instead of just one screeenful.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Kind regards,
    | >
    | > Niek Otten
    | >
    | > "Jim Rech" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:eKcT%23x%[email protected]...
    | >> I've never heard of the visible state of worksheets affecting calc
    speed.

    | >> You need a macro to unhide worksheets all at once:
    | >>
    | >> Sub UnhideSheets()
    | >> Dim WS As Worksheet
    | >> For Each WS In Worksheets
    | >> WS.Visible = xlSheetVisible