How do I separate worksheets in a workbook into individual files?

  1. #1
    jmd
    Guest

    How do I separate worksheets in a workbook into individual files?

  2. #2
    Forum Expert Ron Coderre's Avatar
    Boston, Massachusetts
    MS-Off Ver
    2013, 2016, O365
    Posts
    6,996
    Try this:

    Right click on the sheet tab
    Select: Move or Copy
    Then follow the prompts. You can either create a copy of the sheet or actually move the sheet to a new workbook.

    Does that help?

    Regards,
    Ron

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I separate worksheets in a workbook into individual files?

    jmd

    You could follow Ron's advice and do it manually or use a macro.

    Sub Make_New_Books()
    Dim w As Worksheet
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    For Each w In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
    w.Copy
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:=ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & w.Name
    ActiveWorkbook.Close
    Next w
    Application.DisplayAlerts = True
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub

    If not familiar with VBA and macros, see David McRitchie's site for more on
    "getting started".

    In the meantime..........

    To create a General Module, hit ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.

    Hit CRTL + R to open Project Explorer.

    Find your workbook/project and select it.

    Right-click and Insert>Module. Paste the above code in there. Save the
    workbook and hit ALT + Q to return to your workbook.

    Run the macro by going to Tool>Macro>Macros.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: How do I separate worksheets in a workbook into individual files?

    And another

    This one test for hidden sheets and create a folder for you
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy6.htm

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl