Data Validation range

  1. #1
    Nigel
    Guest

    Data Validation range

    Hi,
    in my book i have a cell with data validation set up to collect data from a
    range B5:B1005. every month, this range is empty and gets filled up
    throughout the month. my problem is as i have set the validation range to
    look at the range B5:B1005, i get a massive dropdown box which ( when i have
    only 20 items ), is alot of space. can the validation range be sort of active
    so if there is only 20 items in the range, it only lists the 20 items without
    the other 800 spaces from the empty cell?
    i thought maybe a named range but i cannot get it to do what i need.

    any ideas greatly appreciated.

    regs,

    Nigel

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation range

    Try it with a formula of

    =OFFSET($B$5,,,COUNTA($B$5:$B$105),1)

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    As long as there are empty cells between two on more entries in the range, you will sit with a massive ddl. try to remove emtly cells with a macro, or just make sure you enter values without any empty cells in the range.