TAN different to a calculator? Please help would be appreciated lo

  1. #1
    !!HELP!!
    Guest

    TAN different to a calculator? Please help would be appreciated lo

    Hi,

    I am doing my GCSE at the moment and I have come up with a fomula to
    calculate the area of any polygon. My formula includes TAN but when I use the
    TAN function on Excel it gives me a completely different answer to my
    calculator.

    Please help, is TAN different in America? Sorry if this sounds really stupid
    but I need to know.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Guru
    North America
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007
    Posts
    15,831
    What units (degrees, radians, gradians) is your calculator set to? My US version of Excel requires the argument to the TAN function to be in radians, and I would assume that would be the same for versions for other countries. If your argument is in degrees, convert it to radians before applying the TAN function.

  3. #3
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: TAN different to a calculator? Please help would be appreciated lo

    Do you know the difference between degrees and radians? I suspect you
    are using degrees but you need radians in the TAN( ) formula - Help
    will explain how to convert.

    Pete

  4. #4
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: TAN different to a calculator? Please help would be appreciated lo

    Be careful when using trig functions, you gotta make sure you're using
    radians/degrees correctly. The TAN() in excel handles Radians. For example
    to get the tangent of 45 DEGREES use the following formula:

    =TAN(45*PI()/180)

    Dave

  5. #5
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: TAN different to a calculator? Please help would be appreciated lo

    David's answer is correct but to save you remembering is it PI()/180 or
    180/Pi()
    use the RADIANS and DEGREES function.
    A1 has 45 entered (meaning 45 degrees), to get the tan of this angle use
    =TAN(RADIANS(A1))
    B1 has 0.866 and you what the asin (inverse sine), use =DEGREES(ASIN(B1))

    best wishes with GCSE - I took mine 50 years ago when it was called 'O'
    level
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    !!HELP!!
    Guest

    Re: TAN different to a calculator? Please help would be appreciate

    Thanks people!!

    That really helped me, the website just made it sound sooo complicated. I
    fully understand it and thank you greatly for your assistance!