How to use distribution functions?

  1. #1
    Melbourne, Australia
    MS-Off Ver

    How to use distribution functions?

    How do I use the Student, x^2 and Gaus (normal) distributions?

    For example in student distribution for n samples and error probability of 5% I'm going to Student's table I'm going in n-1 row and t=95 and find the corresponding number. But in Excel I don't know how it works.

  2. #2
    Mike Middleton
    Guest

    Re: How to use distribution functions?

    gpktm -

    See Excel's online or offline Help for examples of the TDIST, CHIDIST, and
    NORMDIST worksheet functions.

    Then ask specific questions.

    (Your original question did not specify one-tail versus two-tail. And if you
    want an exact correspondence between Excel and a table from a book, you'll
    have to specify the exact assumptions for the book's table. For example,
    your book may be assuming degrees of freedom for the t distribution is df =
    n-1, but the t distribution is used in other contexts, like multiple
    regression, where df is not necessarily n-1.)

    - Mike
    www.mikemiddleton.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Melbourne, Australia
    MS-Off Ver
    Nevermind I found it, and by the way it wasn't any of these functions (TDIST, CHIDIST, NORMDIST). It was the inverse function of t distribution.

  4. #4
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: How to use distribution functions?

    Your description seems a bit garbled, but you migt want to see help for
    TINV and NORMINV functions.

    Jerry