Spreadsheet performance is slow

  1. #1
    Kristi
    Guest

    Spreadsheet performance is slow

    Hi all,

    I'm working with a spreadsheet that has 12 workbooks in it. There are no
    macros or formulas. The problem is, everything I try to do is very slow and
    I'm often getting not responding messages. This is the only spreadsheet that
    I'm having problems with, every other spreadsheet I'm using, even ones with
    macros and formulas, are working fine.

    I've looked through some troubleshooting things here and one pointed me to
    disconnecting from a non-existant drive. I did that, and it helped a little.
    But opening, saving, adjusting column widths and print preview are very slow.

    Any ideas?

    Kristi

  2. #2
    Kristi
    Guest

    RE: Spreadsheet performance is slow

    Nevermind everyone. I found another item about slow performance and went in
    and manually deleted everything out of my temp file. The spreadsheet is
    working fine now.

    Krisit

  3. #3
    Kristi
    Guest

    RE: Spreadsheet performance is slow

    Gack. I do need help. The spreadsheet is slow again. I can't even scroll
    without it locking up for 20 seconds or more.

  4. #4
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Spreadsheet performance is slow

    Sounds strange. But if you import large amounts of data, delete and insert
    many rows, etc, Excel may get a little bit slow. Close the file and re-open.
    BTW you don't happen to use anything older than Excel97 do you?

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Kristi
    Guest

    Re: Spreadsheet performance is slow

    Thank you Niek. I've opened and reclosed several times. I've even rebooted
    and run defrag. I'm using Excel 2003. This is truly odd. I've never had
    this kind of problem before.

  6. #6
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Spreadsheet performance is slow

    For tips about speed, check

    www.decisionmodels.com

  7. #7
    Kristi - you say you deleted everything out of your temp file - can you tell me what you mean by that - ?

    Please

    Thanks

    kathy

  8. #8

    Re: Spreadsheet performance is slow

    The thread has aged off for me, but one way I use to clean up my temp file is
    this:

    Close every running program I can see.
    windows start button|run
    type
    %temp%
    and hit enter

    Now you're looking at the files in your temp folder.

    I show the files in detail mode (under View on that menu bar)

    I click on the date and sort that date by list.

    I clean up everything that is dated before today. (Click on the first one and
    shift click on the last one, then hit the delete key.)

    Then I try to delete the rest. Sometimes if a file is in use by some other
    program (even a hidden program), you can't delete it. I just skip that one and
    try to delete the others.