countif?

  1. #1
    Vegs
    Guest

    countif?

    I need to count numbered text, such as, "100A" in a column.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    =countif(a:a,"100a")

  3. #3
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: COUNTIF?

    If you need to count the number of numerical values use =COUNT(), if you need
    to count the total number of populated cells (numerical values and text
    values) use =COUNTA().

    Dave

  4. #4
    Pats
    Guest

    RE: COUNTIF?

    I created a workbook and entered some dummy text values, such as 100A, 110A,
    1201
    Then I used =COUNTIF(A1:A3,"100A") and it returned 1, which is correct.

  5. #5
    Vegs
    Guest

    RE: COUNTIF?

    Thanks Dave...
    I needed to add "*100A*" to the COUNTIF fucntion.

  6. #6
    Vegs
    Guest

    RE: COUNTIF?

    Thanks Pats,
    The spreadsheet was generated from another program so the values weren't
    centered in the cell...I added asterisks "*100A*" to the formula and it
    works..

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest