Pivot Table help!

  1. #1
    Marc Fleury
    Guest

    Pivot Table help!

    I'm hoping someone can give some pointers to a pivot table newbie.

    I have a bunch of data in three colums: Player, Score, and Date. I want a
    pivot table that will show me the average Score for every Player, given an
    arbitrary Date range that I want to be able to specify.

    I'm partway there. I set up a pivot table, pull Player onto the Row Fields,
    and I put Score into the Data area.

    If I put Date into the Row Fields, and then group these by month, it almost
    gives me what I want -- I can click on "Date" on the pivot table and I have
    little boxes that I can check off if I just want to see the data for
    November, or whatever. But if I want to see just the data for, say, Nov 20-
    26, I'm out of luck. If I right-click on Date, choose Grouping, and add
    "Days", it (again) almost does what I want, but it's really awkward because
    the days are now listed is a separate column than the months. It will
    become even more complicated once I start accumulating data for 2006.

    If, instead of dragging Date into the Row Fields, I put it into the Page
    Fields, it again ALMOST does what I want, but not quite.

    I have seen pivot tables where the page field has a Date button that opens
    up to show years, with little Plus signs next to them. When you click on
    the plus sign, it opens up a branch list that shows the quarters, or the
    months, each will little plus signs that open up further branches for
    individual days. Each of these levels can be selected with little check-
    boxes, so that if you want to see all the data from 2005, you just click
    the 2005 box. If, on the other hand, you want to see just November, then
    you open up the 2005 branch, and then just select November. You can also,
    if you want, select any combination of date ranges (for instance, all of
    2004, plus November of 2005, plus the first three days of December).

    How the heck do I do that?

  2. #2

    getting average scores over date ranges

    Hi,
    I suggest you abandon the pivot table and use the sumproduct function.

    Then you can put the names of the players in col A, put your required dates in 2 convenient cells, and then use sumproduct to extract the total scores achieved by each player within your date ranges.

    In a separate table, use countif to count the NUMBER of scores within the date range, and then finally print the averages in a separate table. If you are happy to publish your e-mail address, I will send you a simple spreadsheet demonstrating this.

    Bobf

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table help!

    Put the Date field into the row area, and group by Days only.
    Enter your start and end date in the Grouping dialog box.
    For the number of days, you can enter the number of days in your range,
    or a big number, if you aren't sure how many days are in the selected range.
    Then, in the Date field dropdown, click Select All, to uncheck all, then
    select the item with your date range.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  4. #4
    Marc Fleury
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table help!

    I'm either slightly misunderstanding, or it still doesn't work.

    If I put in the number of days in my range in the "Number of Days" box,
    what happens when I click the Date dropdown is that I only have 3
    choices to view: data before my range, data after my range (both of
    which will show nothing), or the entire range. I have no ability to
    select, say, just February.

    --
    Marc.

    Debra Dalgleish <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

  5. #5
    Marc Fleury
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table help!

    bob777 <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Hi,
    > I suggest you abandon the pivot table and use the sumproduct function.
    >
    > Then you can put the names of the players in col A, put your required
    > dates in 2 convenient cells, and then use sumproduct to extract the
    > total scores achieved by each player within your date ranges.
    >
    > In a separate table, use countif to count the NUMBER of scores within
    > the date range, and then finally print the averages in a separate
    > table. If you are happy to publish your e-mail address, I will send
    > you a simple spreadsheet demonstrating this.

    I considered this (and may still do something like that if I can't find
    the proper solution with the pivot tables), but the pivot tables have
    several advantages that I really like -- Players will be able to double
    click on their score summary in the table to drill down to the data of
    their actual games (which show a lot more detail than the pivot table
    provides). Also, if I was able to implement the table the way I want, a
    player could decide to check their scores for games played on Mondays
    (by checking just those days from the drop-down box) and then comparing
    these scores to games played on Fridays.

    Most of the people who will be using the tool are familiar with Pivot
    Tables (reading them, not creating them), so although designing my own
    tool to extract the desired data is probably feasible, it's not ideal.

    --
    Marc.

  6. #6
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table help!

    Hi Marc
    With Date as a row field, before Player as a row field, try Grouping Date by
    Year, and Quarter, and Month, and Day.

    You should then see something like the following (hope it doesn't go all
    over the place when posting).
    You can then select whichever year you want in the Years dropdown etc.

    Sum of Score
    Years Quarters Months Date Player Total
    2005 Qtr1 Jan 01-Jan AAA 2
    CCC 1
    DDD 2
    08-Jan BBB 1
    CCC 3
    15-Jan AAA 1
    29-Jan AAA 4
    Feb 01-Feb AAA 4
    BBB 3
    07-Feb AAA 1
    08-Feb CCC 3
    15-Feb AAA 1
    BBB 4
    CCC 2
    DDD 5
    22-Feb DDD 2
    Grand Total 39

    Does this solve the problem?

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  7. #7
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table help!

    In your original post you said:
    "I want a pivot table that will show me the average Score for every
    Player, given an arbitrary Date range that I want to be able to specify."

    What I suggested does that. The start and end dates of the arbitrary
    date range are entered in the Grouping dialog box. Dates before and
    after are hidden.

    To see a different date range, e.g. November, open the Grouping box, and
    enter the start and end dates for that range.

  8. #8
    Marc Fleury
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table help!

    Debra Dalgleish <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > In your original post you said:
    > "I want a pivot table that will show me the average Score for every
    > Player, given an arbitrary Date range that I want to be able to
    > specify."
    >
    > What I suggested does that.

    Ah. Now I understand what you mean.

    I guess I should have drawn a distinction between what I, as the creator
    of the Pivot Table, can do, and what the end-user can do. In the last
    part of my original post, I was more explicit about my needs. The user
    should be able to get the data that s/he wants just by using drop-down
    boxes. The USER ought to be able to select an arbitrary dates and date
    ranges to view.

    Here, again, is the more detailed explanation of what I need:

  9. #9
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table help!

    Those pivot tables are based on OLAP databases, with fields in levels.
    The same feature can't be created in a pivot table based on a different
    data source type.

  10. #10
    Marc Fleury
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table help!

    Much appreciated.

    With that info, I searched through the excel help files for OLAP
    database, found this
    ("Creating data cubes using Excel and text files"). Probably the long
    way around, but I was able to turn my data into an OLAP cube, and the
    Date field automatically had levels when I pulled it to the Dimensions
    pane. So now I have exactly the drop-down box for Dates that I needed.

    (Now I just have to figure out how to create the rest of the Pivot Table
    from the data cube!)

    Thanks again.