Revised formula question

  1. #1

    Revised formula question

    I guess I haven't explained my first questions very well. The answer will vary depending on what amount the formula is being calculated against. The answer will not always be same. I need to have a formula that calculates commission on the first $1500 and not any additional money on anything over $1500. So if a person raises $1300. The percentage is .034 - the commission would be $44.20.

    If a person raises 1500. the percentage is still .034 the commission would be $51.00.

    If the person raises 1600, the percentage is .034 for the first $1500 and the commission is still $51.00 because he doesn't get paid on the extra $100 over

    I need a formula that calcuates commission of the first $1500 and not any additional money on anything over $1500.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Central UK
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

    Not sure but ...

    Something like

    =IF(A1>1500,1500,A1)*0.034

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Revised formula question

    One way:

    =0.034*MIN(A1,1500)

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Sharon D. <[email protected]>

  4. #4
    Brad
    Guest

    RE: Revised formula question

    =min(1500,a3)*.034

    hth

  5. #5
    JR
    Guest

    Re: Revised formula question

    ....The IF formula below is the only thing that will work. the "MIN" formulas
    mentioned will hold the sales value at 1500.

  6. #6
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Revised formula question

    Huh?

    The IF and MIN formulae return exactly the same results. Did you try
    them?

  7. #7
    Ron Rosenfeld

    On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 07:39:02 -0800, "JR" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >...The IF formula below is the only thing that will work. the "MIN" formulas
    >mentioned will hold the sales value at 1500.

    Why do you write that?

    The MIN formula will return the lesser of the sales value or 1500, which is
    what the OP wrote she wanted.
    --ron

  8. #8
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Revised formula question

    "JR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "y_not" wrote:
    > > Something like
    > >
    > > =IF(A1>1500,1500,A1)*0.034

    > ...The IF formula below is the only thing that will work. the "MIN"

    formulas
    > mentioned will hold the sales value at 1500.

    ???
    --
    David Biddulph

  9. #9
    JR
    Guest

    Re: Revised formula question

    ....I tried the MIN and found that it doesn't account for amounts under 1500.
    If you had say, 1385, instead of giving you 1385*.034, it would give you
    1500*.034.

  10. #10
    JR
    Guest

    Re: Revised formula question

    Sorry guys, I must have typed it incorrectly... it does work. At any rate,
    Sharon will never know that either of them works until she tries it.

  11. #11
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Revised formula question

    Then you entered either the formula or the 1385 incorrectly. Did you by
    chance enter:

    =MIN(A1, 1500*0.034)

    instead of

    =MIN(A1, 1500) * 0.034

    ????

  12. #12
    pinmaster
    Guest
    I think you have your cell formatted as "percentage", format your cell as Currency or Accounting.

    JG