Blank spaces

  1. #1

    Question Blank spaces

    Hi all,

    I have loads of cells in a column with a blank space at the beginning of the text in each cell.

    I would like to get rid of the blank spaces at the beginning of each cell's text, but without getting rid of the blanks included in the body of the cells' text.

    Anybody knows how I could do this?

    Thanks for helping me

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Use the TRIM function to remove spaces at either end of a text string. It will not eliminate spaces between words.

    Cheers,

    Steve

  3. #3
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: Blank spaces

    You could use =RIGHT(LEN(A1)-1) in a helper column, then drag down to the end
    of your data. Then, select this range, copy, and "Paste Special->Values"
    into your original column (change the reference of A1 to fit your data)

    Dave

  4. #4
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: Blank spaces

    Sorry... Small typo :-)

    =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)

    Dave

  5. #5
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Blank spaces

    "SteveG" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    > Use the TRIM function to remove spaces at either end of a text string.
    > It will not eliminate spaces between words.

    .... but it will reduce multiple spaces to a single space.
    --
    David Biddulph