Excel: with an if condition display a row of cell if true

  1. #1
    Seema Yadav
    Guest

    Excel: with an if condition display a row of cell if true

    Hello,
    I am a relatively new user and I was asked to set up a contact list for my
    office. I would like to have one master list on the first worksheet and then
    kind of query different sections into new worksheets. Is this possible?

    For example in the main worksheet i would have name, region and supervisor.
    In the second worksheet I would want only Peel Region enteries to be
    displayed.

    The main goal is: If a change something on the first worksheet I would like
    the other worksheets altered automatically.

    PLEASE HELP ME.

  2. #2
    pinmaster
    Guest
    Copy the data that you want from the main worksheet and then paste it into the other worksheet but don't just paste it, select "Paste Special" then select "paste as link" hit OK.

    HTH
    JG

  3. #3
    Seema Yadav
    Guest

    Re: Excel: with an if condition display a row of cell if true

    Thanks but I want to Query the worksheet. For ex If I add a new listing to
    the master worksheet I want it to automatically add itself to the second
    worksheet. Can this be done?

  4. #4
    pinmaster
    Guest
    Yes, one way is to do what I told you, but instead of selecting a few rows select the entire column then paste into the other worksheet as "link" Paste Special/Paste Link. Another way is to type the formula directly into the other worksheet, somethink like:

    =IF(SHEET1!B1="","",SHEET1!B1)

    then copy down as needed.

    HTH
    JG

  5. #5
    Seema Yadav
    Guest

    Re: Excel: with an if condition display a row of cell if true

    ok the formula would be for the enite column in the worksheet 2, right?
    so,
    =IF(SHEET1!B1="Peel","",SHEET1!B1)
    what else do i do? in the second quotations what should i put?
    so that in worksheet 1, the column labelled Region, if there are peel
    entries the entire line of data will show in worksheet 2

    SORRY AND THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

  6. #6
    pinmaster
    Guest
    Actually your formula should look like this:
    =IF(Sheet1!B1="Peel",Sheet1!B1,"")

    here are the basics:
    =IF(condition, if true, if false)

    but I would go with this:

    =IF(Sheet!B1="","",Sheet1!B1)

    open a blank worksheet inside your workbook then select any column and while the column is still selected type my formula in the formula bar then hold down the CTRL key and hit Enter, that will copy the formula in the entire column. Then come back and let us know if that is what your looking for.

    Note. the quotations are use to leave a cell blank or to check if a cell is blank.

    Regards
    JG

  7. #7
    Seema Yadav
    Guest

    Re: Excel: with an if condition display a row of cell if true

    ok so thats now showing me just peel. I need the entire row of info along
    with the "check" cell (ie Peel). also there are spaces between the rows
    (where it doesn't meet the criteria) can i shift them up so that they're are
    no blanks?

  8. #8
    kitmcgee
    Guest

    Re: Excel: with an if condition display a row of cell if true

    I just had to do something similar at work. I linked my main worksheet
    to a second worksheet by placing an "X" (or, in your case, "peel") in a
    column (in my case below, column N) for the entries which I wanted to link to
    the second worksheet.

    Here is a sample of the code I used (just apply it to each cell or group of
    cells in your second sheet for the data that you want linked to your second
    sheet):

    =IF('Active Matters'!$N3="X",'Active Matters'!A3,"---")

    Unfortunately, you can't get rid of the blank rows because they are
    directly linked to the same rows in your original sheet (or, if someone knows
    how to reconcile this, please feel free to respond). For my sheet, I didn't
    want to collapse the rows incase I do put an "X" for those rows on my main
    sheet to appear on the second sheet in the future, but that might work for
    your purposes if your sheet isn't constantly fluctuating and growing, like
    mine is. To make my second sheet look cleaner instead of displaying blank
    rows, I entered subsquent code so that "---" displays (instead of the code
    itself or a blank line, which would look busy or confusing). Probably a good
    idea to lock your cells and password protect the code on the sheet that you
    are linking to.

    Once your sheets are working, be careful not to delete any rows or
    columns in either sheet, and do not insert rows or columns using the insert
    feature (instead, type all new entries at the very bottom and then sort - use
    the same practice for deleting data), or else the cells become linked to the
    wrong cells on your second sheet.

    Hope this helps.

    Katy