Heeelp!

  1. #1

    Heeelp!

    Can anyone tell me what the role of the 'Validation' option in the dat menu is?

    is it

    a) It checks the worksheet for errors in your formulae

    or

    B) It allows you to set the properties of certain cells so that incorrect data cannot be entered and you are prompted with a message about the 'allowed' contents of the cell/cells.

    Thanks so much!

  2. #2
    pinmaster
    Guest
    The answer is .b)

    well sort of, it has many function, I like to use it to put a drop down list in a cell, but it also does what you said, when properly set up it enables you to restrict data that is entered in a cell.....e.g say you wanted to restrict data to only numbers, in data validation you would select "custom" from the drop down list and in the formula bar you'd put something like this =ISNUMBER(A1), then you leave a message telling people what kind of data to put in, when someone tries to enter text your message appears.

    HTH
    JG

  3. #3
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Heeelp!

    Deadloss wrote...
    >Can anyone tell me what the role of the 'Validation' option in the dat
    >menu is?
    >
    >is it
    >
    >a) It checks the worksheet for errors in your formulae
    >
    >or
    >
    >B) It allows you to set the properties of certain cells so that
    >incorrect data cannot be entered and you are prompted with a message
    >about the 'allowed' contents of the cell/cells.

    It's B, which online help states perhaps not clearly enough.

  4. #4
    KL
    Guest

    Re: Heeelp!

    B)

    Regards,
    KL

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5

    Thanks

    Hi

    Thanks for the help!! I really appreciate it.

    I have a set of 15 questions to do (Uni work). I've worked my way through most of them but I'm still stumped on 3 - This was one of them. I've already posted another question and I have another I have yet to post. If anyone would be so good as to have a look , I would be most grateful.

    GJ