Pivot question

  1. #1
    teepee
    Guest

    Pivot question

    Hello - may I prevail on your collective knowledge please to solve a
    problem?

    I currently have a pivot table which takes 6 data entry columns, tables the
    first entry vertical, the second horizontal, and puts the last 4 in the main
    body of the table, counting their incidence in relation to the first 2. A
    pretty bog standard pivot table in fact.

    My problem is this. In order to use a certain procedure, I have to rewrite
    this process to achieve the same end without using a pivot to get there. The
    authors of the procedure assure me it can be done using other data filtering
    functions within Excel but they don't say how. Anyone got any idea?

    Thank in advance

    teepee

  2. #2

    pivot query

    Please give an example of your data - I personally cannot yet understand what you are asking.

    Bobf

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Pivot question

    Hi

    With your data on Sheet1, in a range from say A1:F100, with A1:F1 holding
    the headers, set up a table on Sheet2 with unique values from Sheet1 column
    A in cells A2:An, unique values from Column B of Sheet1 in cells B1:?1
    (n represents the last row number, ? represents the last column letter)

    then in cell B2 of sheet2 enter
    =SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100=$A2),--(Sheet1$B$2:$B$100=B$1),--(Sheet1!C$2:C$100<>""))
    Copy across for the width of the column headings created.
    Copy the whole row of formulae down for the extent of the entries in column
    A of Sheet2

    You would then need to repeat the block from column B to column ?, 3 more
    times to represent each of the remaining 4 columns of data from Sheet1, but
    changing the last part of the sumproduct formula to Sheet1!$D$2:$D$100,
    E2:E100, and F2:F100 respectively.

    If you wanted to make the table smaller and aggregate the count for all 4
    columns of data, then change the formula to
    =SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100=$A2),--(Sheet1$B$2:$B$100=B$1),--(Sheet1!C$2:F$100<>""))

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  4. #4
    teepee
    Guest

    Re: Pivot question

    x-no-archive: yes

    "bob777" wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Please give an example of your data - I personally cannot yet understand
    > what you are asking.

    Thanks for the response Bob. I'll post this rich text so you can see the layout better

    So a sample of the original data from CSV

    120145,1000,,,Z,
    120156,1000,,Y,,

    and a sample of the pivot. The hash is added as a reference to the point made below

    time Data 1000 1001 1002 1004 1005 1006
    120000 Count of w
    Count of y
    Count of z #
    Count of x
    120001 Count of w
    Count of y
    Count of z
    Count of x
    120002 Count of w
    Count of y
    Count of z
    Count of x
    120003 Count of w
    Count of y
    Count of z
    Count of x
    120004 Count of w
    Count of y
    Count of z
    Count of x

    It basically counts the number of w, x, y, and z against each time frame. In the
    bit above there weren't any matches but if there had been a line in the data csv
    saying:

    120000,1000,,,Z,

    then you'd have seen the number 1 appear where I've put the hash in.

    I'd be grateful for your thoughts

    best

    tp

  5. #5
    teepee
    Guest

    Re: Pivot question

    thanks - will try

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    teepee
    Guest

    Re: Pivot question

    "Roger Govier" <[email protected]> wrote

    > With your data on Sheet1, in a range from say A1:F100, with A1:F1 holding
    > the headers, set up a table on Sheet2 with unique values from Sheet1

    It says you can only copy filtered data onto the active sheet 8-(

  7. #7
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pivot question

    To extract the data to a different sheet, start the Advanced Filter from
    the destination sheet, as described here:

    http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#ExtractWs

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  8. #8
    teepee
    Guest

    Re: Pivot question

    "Debra Dalgleish" <[email protected]> wrote

    > To extract the data to a different sheet, start the Advanced Filter from
    > the destination sheet, as described here:
    >
    > http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#ExtractWs

    Thanks - I'm now told for the same reason I can't use pivot with the
    software I'm employing, it won't recognise advanced filter either, so I
    have to use arrays on their own 8-(

    Back to the drawing board