Please help with unusual request?

  1. #1
    AWA
    Guest

    Please help with unusual request?

    I just need to seperate data in an exisiting column microsoft excel. For
    example, I have too much data in a particular column, I do not need all of
    that data - just (the first) part of the data. If only I could draw a
    vertical line and "poof" a new column would be there with only the data I
    need...

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Please help with unusual request?

    How about some examples.

    Check out Data>Text to Columns.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Please help with unusual request?

    Hi AWA,

    Select the data
    Data | Text to Columns | Fixed width | Next |
    Click where you want the column break | Next
    For unwanted data, check the 'Do not import column' option
    Poof!

    > poof" a new column would be there with only the data I need...

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

  4. #4
    AWA
    Guest

    Re: Please help with unusual request?

    YOU ROCK! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

  5. #5
    pinmaster
    Guest
    Assuming your data is seperated by spaces, you can try this in a blank column:

    =IF(ISERROR(LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)),IF(A1="","",A1),LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1))
    copied down...once you have done that just copy and paste over your existing data (Paste as Values).

    NOTE! if your data is seperated by something other than "spaces" say "comas" then change FIND(" " to FIND("," in the formula.

    HTH
    JG