Vlookup and #N/A error

  1. #1

    Vlookup and #N/A error

    I keep getting this problem and always find very hard to overcome without loosing much time and efforts. I have one spreadsheet A with vlookup formulas that are supposed to retrieve the info I want (prices) which are located in another spredsheet (B). The idea is to insert a reference in spreadsheet A and the vlookup formula gives me the price for that reference. Every year I have prices updates so I copy the spreadsheet that I am given from my boss with the thousands of new prices and paste it to the spreadsheet B. The problem is that once I do this the vlookup formulas in spreasheet A seems to not recognize the values I've just pasted in spreadheet B and retrieve no values! A friend of mine once teached me to use a formula to format the cells in spreadheet B. This is: "=D4&"" (D4 is just an example of a cell - I do this to every cells). I insert new columns and paste this formula in there and then I copy and paste the values to the cells where they should be. Once I do this the vlookup formula starts to work and retrieve the values that I want but I loose the format of the cells - I have columns which I need to be formated as currency with only 2 decimal places (I get 10!), others that are percentile, and so on. Is there an easy way to paste the data in spreadsheet B and immediately the formulas in spreadheet A reterieve the values I want and with the format I want? Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup and #N/A error

    Hi

    Instead Copy>Paste use Copy>PasteSpecial Values

    --
    Arvi Laanemets
    ( My real mail address: arvi.laanemets<at>tarkon.ee )

    "hrsdias" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Vlookup #N/A error

    I wish it would be that easy! I tried but it doesn't work. I think I have to format the cells before or after I paste the new values. I just don't know how I should do it. Any other suggestions?

  4. #4
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup and #N/A error

    <but it doesn't work>

    So what *does* it do?

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

  5. #5
    It doesn't do anything. The Vlookup formulas in the spreadsheet A won't retrieve the values!

    Quote Originally Posted by Niek Otten
    <but it doesn't work>

    So what *does* it do?

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

  6. #6
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup and #N/A error

    So what do you see? An error value? What? The formula? Then format the cell
    as general and re-enter the formula (F2, ENTER)
    "Doesn't do" doesn't exist! Or is there a whole in your screen where look
    through?

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

  7. #7
    Patti
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup and #N/A error

    Have you tried using "Data -- Text to Columns -- Finish" to eliminate extra
    spaces?