line of best fit/reading values from graphs

  1. #1
    Becky Hutchinson
    Guest

    line of best fit/reading values from graphs

    i have excel 2003 and am trying to create graphs for an electronics lab write
    up. I have entered information into a table and created scatter diagrams etc
    but i want to put on a line of best fit. The trendline function does not work
    well enough for what i want, and i remember there being an option for a line
    of best fit on an older version of the program. is there a way to do it? The
    reason i am asking is because i want to read off values from my graph, i.e.
    on a voltage vs frequency graph i want to know what the frequency would
    theoretically be at 0.707 volts. if i can not create a best fit line, is
    there a way to do this??

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: line of best fit/reading values from graphs

    You did not tell if the fit is linear or not
    You can use LINEST to fit to linear, polynomial, log etc
    See www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips and
    www.tushar-mehta.com

    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    "Becky Hutchinson" <Becky [email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Becky Hutchinson
    Guest

    Re: line of best fit/reading values from graphs

    they're not linear or polynomial. some are like exponential but upside down
    (yet not logarithmic, dunno what they're called). some are like the shape of
    a black body curve if you ever did physics alevel. they're weird shapes that
    can't be mapped onto a 'normal' function. what i really need to know is how
    to get excel to read x values for a given y value

  4. #4
    Forum Guru
    North America
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007
    Posts
    15,829
    A couple of ideas:

    1) Are your data spaced closely enough to use interpolation instead of curve fitting to get reasonable results? Excel doesn't have a built in interpolation function (some other spreadsheets have built in linear interpolation functions if you're not tied to Excell), but it can be done in Excel. Either write a UDF for it, or work out the lookup portion using INDEX(MATCH()) then interpolate on the located interval.

    2) If you insist on using a curve fitting approach, you've got to come up with some kind of function that will represent your data. Trendlines and LINEST really only work on linear parameter (or equation where the parameters can be linearized), but there are other functions that don't use linear parameters for which the parameters can be found using a numerical approach like Solver. For example, you mention that some of your data look like a blackbody radiation curve. Been a long time since I dealt with that stuff, but a quick Google search found that a blackbody curve is an equation of the form y=(Ax^-5)/(B^1/x-1) where A and B are constants (B is a function of temperature). In your case, I would just treat A and B as parameters. Can you come up with a few equations that will fit your data?

  5. #5
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: line of best fit/reading values from graphs

    A curve fit with Solver would be possible if you have an idea what function
    you wish to fit the data to.
    Contact me privately if you wish to explore this idea.
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    "Becky Hutchinson" <[email protected]> wrote in