functions on whole columns

  1. #1
    ellie
    Guest

    functions on whole columns

    I'm new to Excel, please forgive me if these are silly questions...

    1/

    I have three columns - the cells in A and B contain numbers
    and I want the cells in C to be those in B minus those in A
    i.e.

    C1 = B1 - A1
    C2 = B2 - A2
    and so on.

    To achieve this, I don't want to have to go down the whole column
    typing in box C1 " =B1-A1 " and typing in C2 " =B2-A2 "
    and so on.

    Is there a way I can apply one function to the whole of column C
    to save time typing?

    2/

    Different problem...

    ROW () gives the row number. So if I type in box C6, ROW() it gives the
    number 6.
    But if I want C6 to contain the contents of B6, why doesn't =B(ROW()) work
    i.e. the ROW() is 6 so it's equal to "=B6". What am I doing wrong?

    Many thanks for any advice.

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: functions on whole columns

    Two ways:
    1) Click on column header to select the entire column; type =B1-A1 and then
    use CTRL+ENTER to complete the formulas
    2) In C1 enter =A1-B1 and double click C1's fill-handle (the little solid
    square in the cell's lower right corner - when cell is selected). This works
    only when there are entries in the neighbouring column.
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: functions on whole columns

    You can use the autofill button on the bottom right corner to drag down the
    formula as far as you need.

    Debra Dalgleish has some tips at:
    http://contextures.com/xlDataEntry01.html#Mouse

    or....

    You can select the range you want first:
    Say you select C1:C99
    Then type the formula for C1:
    =b1-a1
    But instead of hitting enter, hit ctrl-enter. Excel will adjust the formula for
    each cell in the selection.

    ============
    You can use =indirect() to point at other cells:

    in A6, this will return the value in B6:
    =indirect("b"&row())

  4. #4
    pinmaster
    Guest
    You don't have to type your formula over and over again, just type it in C1 and then drag the cell down as far as needed.

    HTH
    JG

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: functions on whole columns

    ellie

    For problem 2/

    =INDIRECT("B"&ROW())

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  6. #6
    ellie
    Guest

    Re: functions on whole columns

    Thanks everyone for your helpful replies :-)

    ellie

    news:O4CY#[email protected]...