Help on Lookup feature

  1. #1

    Help on Lookup feature

    I am having difficulty getting a lookup function to work properly. In a worksheet using 165 rows looking up data from another worksheet using 165 rows, looking at a unique number, some rows return correct data, and others return the #N/A error message. Any suggestions?

    Thanks much.

    Joe

  2. #2
    Jacob_F_Roecker
    Guest

    RE: Help on Lookup feature

    I've gotten this before

    Go to the first row where you get you "N/A" and look at the cell range of
    the Vlookup. Compare that to the first cell with the formula and you may
    notice a difference in the cell ranges for the lookup.

    How this happened is you used the copy-->paste method of putting your
    formula in each cell without making the range reference absolute.

    To fix the problem put a $ before the row and column reference of your range
    your looking up.

    =VLOOKUP($A$2,Sheet3!$G18:$V$28,8,FALSE)

    I would also recommend Allen Wyatt's explanation of the feature here:
    http://exceltips.vitalnews.com/Pages..._Function.html

    The only other way I've gotten N/A is if the data just simply isn't there.
    I don't want to be printing N/A's on my final report and so I usually use the
    =IF(ISERROR() formula method.

    =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP($A$2,Sheet3!$G18:$V$28,8,FALSE)),"
    ",VLOOKUP($A$2,Sheet3!$G18:$V$28,8,FALSE))

    I hope this helps!

  3. #3

    Thank You

    Jacob: