Inserting lists from a drop down menu????

  1. #1
    Houston, Texas

    Inserting lists from a drop down menu????

    I am trying to build a spreadsheet where I can insert the parts list for various assemblies based a single part number that represents that assembly. I would like to do this using a drop down pick list if possible. I do not know VB(probably should though) so can anyone offer some help for this.

  2. #2
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: Inserting lists from a drop down menu????

    Hi Jim. The attached site about Dynamic Drop Down lists may help.
    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.Dropdowns.html
    --
    Sincerely, Michael Colvin

  3. #3
    pinmaster
    Guest
    How about this:
    In an out of the way of your workbook, create a table with all your part number in one row and under each part number fill down your individual list.
    Next select a cell to put your part numbers list in, say A1, goto Data/Validation select "list" in the Allow menu and in the formula box below type = and the location of your part numbers range. Next put this formula in another cell and copy down:
    =HLOOKUP($A$1,your_table,ROW(2:2),0)
    you could also give your table a name for ease of use...say table1 and then use:
    =HLOOKUP($A$1,table1,ROW(2:2),0)

    HTH
    JG