converting Dates

  1. #1

    converting Dates

    hi guys
    been some time since last time i showed up
    anyway...
    as u guys know there r serveral calenders type, what i want is function that converts a type to another, like convert a crist date to Qamari or Shamsi(islamic) dates.
    for example today:
    10/10/1384 shamsi to 31/12/2005

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: converting Dates

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 09:00:57 -0600, torpido
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >hi guys
    >been some time since last time i showed up
    >anyway...
    >as u guys know there r serveral calenders type, what i want is function
    >that converts a type to another, like convert a crist date to Qamari or
    >Shamsi(islamic) dates.
    >for example today:
    >10/10/1384 shamsi to 31/12/2005

    I don't believe you can devise such a function that will give guaranteed
    accurate results for religious purposes.

    The Islamic calendar is a strictly lunar calendar, and the time of the New Moon
    can be accurately predicted.

    However, my understanding is that each Islamic month starts when the lunar
    crescent is first seen (by an actual human being) after a new moon.

    Although new moons may be calculated quite precisely, the actual visibility of
    the crescent is much more difficult to predict. It depends on factors such as
    weather, the optical properties of the atmosphere, and the location of the
    observer. It is therefore very difficult to give accurate information in
    advance about when a new month will start.

    --ron