Validation & Protection

  1. #1

    Validation & Protection

    Hi

    I have a cell in which drop down list box is applied. Depending upon the data in that cell, code needed to lock (protect / unprotect) the adjacent cell.

    Thnks & Regrds,
    New Excel User.

  2. #2
    DataMouse.biz
    Guest

    RE: Validation & Protection

    Happy new year.

    If you need an action to occur on a condition, you'll need an IF statement.
    Because you want to change a screen option, you'll need some code.

    So what we do is use an event to check teh value and take action

    Something like:

    If Range("A1") = "yourvalue" Then
    'unprotect/unlock cell
    Range("A1").Select
    ActiveSheet.Unprotect
    Selection.Locked = False
    Else
    'lock and protect
    Range("A1").Select
    ActiveSheet.Unprotect
    Selection.Locked = False
    End if

    'reprotect sheet
    ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True

    idea...?

    Danny

  3. #3
    Wish U the same.

    Thanks for replying. That will certaining help me.

    But I need a code for the entire column / row. A code with a loop or something like it.

    Thanks & Regards,
    Aamir

  4. #4
    DataMouse.biz
    Guest

    Re: Validation & Protection

    If you know the range, you can specify in the example given
    Range("start","end")

    If you want to loop through cells, that can be done with a FOR NEXT loop -
    but I'd need to know which cells you want to protect...
    Then you call functions to protect ot unprotect:

    Function UnprotectCell()
    'unprotect/unlock cell
    ActiveCell.Select
    ActiveSheet.Unprotect