Help printing selected rows

  1. #1

    Help printing selected rows

    I am trying to figure out a way to print only selected portions of a spreadsheet. The data gets updated weekly and needs to be printed, but only the items with certain criteria.

    The spreadsheet contains all managed properties in rows (there are >300 properties), and only the properties with vacancies need to be printed. Is there some sort of toggle or check box I can put at the beginning or end of each row to tell Excel to print? Using the control|select with the mouse is not ideal as there are not too many changes each week. Sorting is not ideal as there is a header row for each property.

    1 property 123 description
    2 unit #bedrooms rent available
    3 A 2 1000 now
    4
    5 property 555 description
    6 unit #bedrooms rent available
    7 A 2 1000 2/1/06
    .
    .
    .

    I am thinking that excel is probably not the best choice and that a database program is probably a better option. Any thoughts?

    Thanks for any assistance.

    Ken

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Help printing selected rows

    try using data>filter>autofilter

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  3. #3

    Re: Help printing selected rows

    You could add a column that contains an indicator.

    Then select that column and do
    data|filter|autofilter

    You could put X in each cell to indicate that that row should be printed.

    Then use the dropdown arrow of the autofilter to show only those rows that have
    X in that column.

    Ps. I think you'll find your data much easier to work with if you used a single
    row per property.

  4. #4
    Thank you both. That works perfectly for filtering what I need. Now I just need to figure out how to include the text description which is a couple of sentences, and may be for a property with more than one unit vacant. The report is sent to local rental agencies so we need the long descriptions.

    Thanks for the help and happy new year.

    Ken

  5. #5
    Don Guillett