=IF problem

  1. #1

    Exclamation =IF problem

    HELP!

    as a sort of beginner finaly using the =IF command and is working fine. BUT.....i try to add some more if commands in one line but it doesn't work:

    =IF(A3="Default Template Windows 2003 Member Server","DEFAULT-YES",IF(A3="Default Template Windows 2000 Domain Controller","DEFAULT-YES",IF(A3="Default Template Windows 2003 Domain Controller","DEFAULT-YES",IF(A3="Default Template Windows 2000 Member Server","DEFAULT-YES",IF(A3="Default Template Windows 2000 Cluster Server","DEFAULT-YES",IF(A3="Default Template Windows 2003 Cluster Server","DEFAULT-YES",IF(A3="Default Template Windows 2000 Member Server IIS","DEFAULT-YES",IF(A3="Custom","NO"))))))))

    Does anyone know what the problem can be or another solution? Is there a maximum of characters or something?

    Thanks in advanced!

    Edo

  2. #2
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: =IF problem

    The maximum number of nested IF statements is 7 (or 8, depending on how
    they are counted). If you have more conditions then the VLOOKUP( )
    function can be used in conjunction with a table of available values
    and outcomes.

    Pete

  3. #3
    PCLIVE
    Guest

    Re: =IF problem

    You could use something such as:

    =IF(OR(A3="Default Template Windows 2003 Member Server",A3="Default Template
    Windows 2000 Domain Controller",A3="Default Template Windows 2003 Domain
    Controller",A3="Default Template Windows 2000 Member Server",A3="Default
    Template Windows 2000 Cluster Server",A3="Default Template Windows 2003
    Cluster
    Server",A3="Default Template Windows 2000 Member Server
    IIS"),"DEFAULT-YES",IF(A3="Custom","NO"))

    This formula will do what you want. However, if A3 does not include one of
    the values specified in your formula, then the result will be "False". If
    you want it to return something else, such as "No Match", then use the
    following.

    =IF(OR(A3="Default Template Windows 2003 Member Server",A3="Default Template
    Windows 2000 Domain Controller",A3="Default Template Windows 2003 Domain
    Controller",A3="Default Template Windows 2000 Member Server",A3="Default
    Template Windows 2000 Cluster Server",A3="Default Template Windows 2003
    Cluster Server",A3="Default Template Windows 2000 Member Server
    IIS"),"DEFAULT-YES",IF(A3="Custom","NO","No Match"))

    HTH,
    Paul

    "EdoZwart" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: =IF problem

    Your function can be simplified, as follows:

    =IF(LEFT(A3,7)="Default","DEFAULT-YES",IF(A3="Custom","NO","Not
    specified"))

    At present you do not specify what should happen if A3 contains any
    other values than those in your formula, so this version makes this
    clearer.

    Pete

  5. #5
    PCLIVE
    Guest

    Re: =IF problem

    Pete,

    Though your formula is much simpler, it would not be effective if A3
    contained "Default Template Windows XP Member Server" or any other data
    (other than what Edo specified) that begins with "Default".

    The second formula that I provided does, in fact, specify what will happen
    when nothing matches the values in the formula. I also explained that the
    first formula would return "False" should A3 not match any of the values
    specified in the formula. The second formula would return "No Match" when
    there was no match.

    Regards,
    Paul

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Thanks for al the reply's! I have setup the excel sheet with vlookup and is working a lot easier.