Counting Using Multiple Criteria

  1. #1

    Counting Using Multiple Criteria

    Does anyone know what is the best way to count values based on multiple criteria? I am trying to count each instance where based on a certain range of dates, a person name shows up. What would be the best way to do this. I have tried countif, count(if(, Sumif, array formulas, sumproduct,etc. All of these to no avail. If anyone has any suggestions or thinks I am overlooking something please let me know. THe colums which contain the dates and names of persons are not ajacent. Any name can be corresponded with any date, even identical. Please help!!! Also is it possible to enter date ranges as criteria in excel

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Counting Using Multiple Criteria

    Hi!

    Assumptions:

    Dates in A1:A100
    Names in Z1:Z100

    > is it possible to enter date ranges as criteria in excel

    Use 2 cells to hold the date range and a cell to hold the name:

    B1 = start date
    C1 = end date
    D1 = name

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100>=B1),--(A1:A100<=C1),--(Z1:Z100=D1))

    Biff

    "mhall5" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Counting Using Multiple Criteria

    =SUMPRODUCT(--($A$2:$A$200>=--"2006-01-01"),--($A$2:$A$200<=--"2006-01-31"),
    --($X$2:$X$200="Pete"))

    RP

  4. #4
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Counting Using Multiple Criteria

    This should get the results you want:

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="Name"),--(C1:C100>DATEVALUE("1/01/2005")),--(C1:C100<DATEVALUE("01/15/2005")))

    Of course, adjust the ranges and dates to match your needs.

    HTH,
    Elkar

  5. #5
    THanks for all the replies guys. I think that last one finally got it for me. But I want to thank everyone who replied to my post.