Auto input days of week

  1. #1

    Cool Auto input days of week

    Hi, I'm looking to set up a spreadsheet where users enter new months date in cell A1, I have worked out how to auto input dates down the rest of column A but need to fill in days of week in column B. I'm trying to automate process as not all users proficient with excel. It needs to work for any month. Any help would be much appriciated.

  2. #2
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Auto input days of week

    Custom format Column B to:
    ddd OR dddd
    Then, in B1, enter
    =A1
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "brom0910" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    pinmaster
    Guest
    How about something like this:

    =TEXT(WEEKDAY(A3),"ddd") copied down
    for all week days

    or

    =IF(AND(WEEKDAY(A3)>1,WEEKDAY(A3)<7),TEXT(WEEKDAY(A3),"ddd"),"")
    week days only, no weekend days

    or simply
    =A3 with cells formatted as "ddd"

    HTH
    JG

  4. #4
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: Auto input days of week

    If column A contains a calculated date that Excel recognizes as a date,
    you can either...
    1. Format the date cells in column A to show the day name as well as
    the date, or
    2. Add a formula to the cells in column B that simply reference column
    A, then custom format that cell with "ddddd" to show the day only in
    that column.

  5. #5
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Auto input days of week

    On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 14:50:55 -0600, brom0910
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi, I'm looking to set up a spreadsheet where users enter new months
    >date in cell A1, I have worked out how to auto input dates down the
    >rest of column A but need to fill in days of week in column B. I'm
    >trying to automate process as not all users proficient with excel. It
    >needs to work for any month. Any help would be much appriciated.

    In column B:

    B2: =A2

    Format/Cells/Number/Custom Type: dddd

    --ron

  6. #6

    Wink

    Thanks guys for your info - tried them all & all worked fine. great job..