SUMIF with multiple criteria

  1. #1

    SUMIF with multiple criteria

    A user I am trying to help has a spread sheet that has several columns and he would like to sum one of the columns IF 2 other columns equal certain data
    If Column A = place ? AND Column C = ? then add Column D for a total

    ColA ColB ColC ColD
    Location Text Rating Points

    place 1 blah A 5
    place 1 blah B 4
    place 2 blah B 4
    place 2 blah C 3
    place 1 blah C 3

    place 1 total A - formula to total all Place 1s and As (5)
    place 2 total B - formula to total all Place 1s and Bs (8)
    etc
    etc

    I'm sure I need to use SUMIF but I can't figure out how to involve multiple criteria to the formula. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    pinmaster
    Guest
    Try:

    =SUMPRODUCT((first_condition)*(second_condition),column to sum)

    HTH
    JG

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: SUMIF with multiple criteria

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A200="place 1"),==(C2:C200="B"),D2:D200)

    as an example

    Bob Phillips

    "macquarl" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    I attempted the SUMPRODUCT example and got "0" for my total when I should have gotten something. I am not sure if it's the right formula to use though, I need to add the points together for the bundle of locations and ranks. Isn't the SUMPRODUCT one used to multiply the different array elements together?

  5. #5

    Re: SUMIF with multiple criteria

    With a minor correction to Bob's typing:
    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A200="place 1"),==(C2:C200="B"),D2:D200)
    becomes
    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A200="place 1"),--(C2:C200="B"),D2:D200)

    You should have gotten a "good" answer.

    If 0 isn't correct, then I'd check A2:A200 to see if "place 1" is really in
    those cells (maybe extra spaces--leading, trailing, embedded.

    Same kind of thing with column C.

    And make sure d2:D200 are numbers--not text masquerading as numbers.

    if you type:
    =count(d2:D200)
    do you get 199
    (assuming no empty cells)