calculating the years

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    calculating the years

    I'm trying to figure out how to get the years from a 'hire date' in a cell. I currently have a date in cell A5 that is the hire date and I want the spreadsheet to figure out how many years the person has been with the company. I'm going to keep this as an ongoing thing on the spreadsheet so currently I have a date of 7/11/2002 in that cell and in another cell I have this formula
    =TODAY()-A5
    It gives me the days and I want to convert that to years. I tried dividing it by 365 which worked when I changed the date in A5 to today's date in 2002 but when I changed it to today's date in 2000 it gave me 6.1 years. I think leap year has something to do with that. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: calculating the years

    Hi

    =DATEDIF(HiringDate,TODAY(),"Y")

    --
    Arvi Laanemets
    ( My real mail address: arvi.laanemets<at>tarkon.ee )

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: calculating the years

    See

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Thanks guys, the datedif works great!

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    I've just noticed a problem. I've got this
    The value in cell A6 is 8/18/1995 and for some reason It keeps giving me 10 for the years. I checked the output of TODAY() and it gives me the following 02/20/06, which is today's date so I can't figure out why this thing is giving me the number 10.

  6. #6
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: calculating the years

    The answer you got is entirely correct.

    What did you expect and why?

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

  7. #7
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: calculating the years

    Hi

    You asked for difference in years. DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"Y") returns
    the difference in full years. I.e.
    until 8/18/1996 the difference is 0 years
    at 8/18/1996 until 8/18/1997 the difference is 1 year
    at 8/18/1997 until 8/18/1998 the difference is 2 years
    at 8/18/1998 until 8/18/1999 the difference is 3 years
    at 8/18/1999 until 8/18/2000 the difference is 4 years
    at 8/18/2000 until 8/18/2001 the difference is 5 years
    at 8/18/2001 until 8/18/2002 the difference is 6 years
    at 8/18/2002 until 8/18/2003 the difference is 7 years
    at 8/18/2003 until 8/18/2004 the difference is 8 years
    at 8/18/2004 until 8/18/2005 the difference is 9 years
    at 8/18/2005 until 8/18/2006 the difference is 10 years

    When you want to be more specific, then the number of months remaining from
    full years can be calculated as
    =DATEDIF(A6,TODAY(),"YM")
    (but the formula can return wrong result for some date combinations -
    because the length of month varies from 28 to 31)

    Another possibility to calculate remaining months is
    =12*INT(DATEDIF(A6,TODAY(),"YD")/365.25)
    , where the average length of month (365.25/12 days) is used

    Arvi Laanemets