Ghost numbers in blank cells

  1. #1
    scott
    Guest

    Ghost numbers in blank cells

    Just a questilon. In my ss I had a value erro show up, the formula was
    correct and when I tracked down the cell that the formla was using it was
    blank. I clicked on the cell (blank , no formula or anything else) and hit
    delete, this cleared the vaule error. Does anyone know what this is, this is
    the second time it has happened, Haunting?

    thanks scott

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Ghost numbers in blank cells

    Some people have a bad habit of 'clearing' a cell's value by pressing the
    Spacebar followed by Enter. Put a space back in the cell that you deleted
    and see if that exhumes your error. If so, find out who is doing the
    dastardly deed and spank them.

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor Lotus123's Avatar
    Texas
    MS-Off Ver
    I have also seen this before, but I don't know if my situation is the same as yours. My experience has only been with files originally created in an older software program (such as Lotus 1-2-3 or even earlier versions of Excel).

    You can either fix this by finding and clearing said ghost cells, or you can also change the way Excel deals with them by toggling the following settings:

    Tools -> Options -> Transition -> Transition Formula Evaluation
    Tools -> Options -> Transition -> Transition Formula Entry

    Hope this info helps.