Date Formatting

  1. #1
    Big Rick
    Guest

    Date Formatting

    Hello Fellow Excellers.
    When I enter a date in a cell and give it a long format. e.g. dddd dd mmmm
    yyyy, so that it would read Monday 1 January 2006, then the wrap text
    facility does not work.
    Is there any way to put in an 'alt-enter' type character so that I could
    have the Monday on the first line and the rest underneath.
    --
    Your help is and always has been very much appreciated.
    Thanking you in anticipation.

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    Not exactly what you're after, but perhaps worth a try
    (Hang around for views from others ..)

    Assuming dates entered in A1 down

    Put in B1:
    =TEXT(A1,"dddd")&CHAR(10)&TEXT(A1,"dd mmmm yyyy")
    Format B1 to wrap text & copy B1 down
    Col B will return the desired display
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Big Rick
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    Many thanks.
    This is a lot further than I would of got.
    I would still like a solution if possible for the way described, as I would
    like to use it in other items, but your formula does work on this occasion.

    I am forever grateful and in your debt.
    --
    Big Rick

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    You're welcome !

    As mentioned in the response,
    do hang around awhile for views from others.

    There just might be a way to do it directly (perhaps via vba ?)
    that others may step-in to offer you.
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    One way

    Const WS_RANGE As String = "H1:H10"

    On Error GoTo ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    With Target
    If IsDate(.Value) Then
    If .NumberFormat = "dddd dd mmmm yyyy" Then
    .Value = Format(.Value, "dddd " & vbLf & "dd mmmm yyyy")
    End With
    End If

    ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = True

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Big Rick
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    Dear Bob
    I'm afraid that I have never got to grips with any form of VBA before. I
    have followed the on screen insructions and pasted the code into the sheet1
    tab, but where do I go from there.
    What I have done is simply pasted the code in, closed the screen, and
    entered a date in H1 but the wrap is not working. I have still formatted the
    cell as wrap text but this did not help. I know that I am going wrong
    somewhere, but I know that you are the one to guide me through.

    Best Regards
    Big Rick

  7. #7

    Re: Date Formatting

    You can use format|cells|number tab

    Give it a custom format of:
    dddd(alt-0010)dd mmmm yyyy

    Hit and hold the alt key while typing 0010 on the numeric keypad--not above the
    QWERTY keys.

    And turn on wrap text
    format|cells|alignment tab

    But be aware that you'll have to adjust the rowheight yourself (autofitting
    won't work).

    And if you make the cell too narrow for the whole string (not after wrapping
    text), you'll see ###'s.

    ====
    Another format to consider:
    dddd* dd mmmm yyyy
    This works pretty neat when you widen the column.

  8. #8
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    Hi Rick

    Copy the following, then right click on Worksheet Tab, Select View code
    and Paste into the white pane.

    With Target
    If .Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Target.Row <2 Then Exit Sub
    If Target.Column > 1 Then Exit Sub

    If Not Intersect(Me.Range("A:A"), .Cells) Is Nothing Then
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    With Me.Cells(.Row, "A")
    .Value = Format(.Value, "dddd" & vbLf & "d mmmm yyyy")
    End With
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    End If
    End With
    End Sub

    This assumes that you want all entries in Column A to be adjusted.
    If you want a different column, change "A"'s to the column Letter
    required, change Target.Column number to <> and the column number for
    the entry.
    Target.row is set to ignore row 1, assuming this is your header, change
    as appropriate.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

  9. #9
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    If you copied the code to the sheet module as described, you should have got
    the two lines as required. It worked fine in my tests.

    Bob Phillips

  10. #10
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    Hey, that's quite sneaky Dave.
    I would never have thought about entering control characters into the
    number format.
    Very effective.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  11. #11
    Big Rick
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    Dear Bob, Max, Dave & Roger
    I am forever grateful for all your time, effort and patience for someone who
    has to have something drummed in before it sticks in my mind.
    I did get Rogers code to work, I couldn't with Bobs', although I sure that
    it is because a complete amateur is trying.
    If anyone of you are ever in England, then the drinks are on me !

    Regards
    --
    Big Rick

  12. #12
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    Hi Big Rick

    > If anyone of you are ever in England, then the drinks are on me !

    Be careful there,
    Bob is in Dorset, I am in Wales (but often across the border)
    Don't know about Bob, but I can drink quite a lot of beer!! <vbg>

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

  13. #13
    Big Rick
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    I work at a swimming pool in Blackpool.
    There are 300,000 gallons of 'drink' to go at !!
    --
    Big Rick

  14. #14

    Re: Date Formatting

    One of the nicer things about using format is that the value stays a date, too.
    So it makes doing date arithmetic a little easier if you need it later.

  15. #15
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    Hi Big Rick

    I won't beat a trail up the M6 too quickly then<g>
    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

  16. #16
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    Roger,

    You know that all Brits can drink! The world is astounded at our capacity.

    Bob

    news:[email protected]...

  17. #17
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    Hi Bob

    Then before too long, I must travel down to your neck of the woods and
    enjoy a pint of Badger with you.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

  18. #18
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    It is good that it keeps the original value, but the fact that you have to
    allow cell width to cater for the full text string nullifies the usefulness
    of this technique IMO.

    Bob

  19. #19

    Re: Date Formatting

    I'm not sure I'd say nullify. I (still) think that it depends on the
    circumstance. If this were a header for a column full of wide descriptions,
    then I wouldn't care at all.

  20. #20
    Forum Contributor

    Date Formatting

    fantastic indeed!!!

    -via135

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Govier

  21. #21
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    > .. It worked fine in my tests.
    And it worked fine for me over here, too <g>

    Big Rick:

    With Bob's sub implemented properly,
    Select and *pre-format* the designated input range: H1:H10
    as Custom: dddd dd mmmm yyyy

    Then test by inputting some dates within H1:H10
    When you press ENTER to commit each input,
    Bob's code will return exactly what you're after

    (My guess is you either didn't pre-format H1:H10 beforehand, or you might
    have tried out the inputs elsewhere .. in A1, A2?? [I dunno]. But don't ask
    me why Bob prefers "H1:H10" instead of "A1:A10" as the assumed source input
    range <g>)
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  22. #22
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    A little "OT", sorry ..

    Am trying out Dave's suggestion, but think I've forgotten
    how to activate/deactivate the numeric keypad on a laptop

    Thanks ..
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  23. #23
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    > .. I did get Rogers code to work, I couldn't with Bobs',

    Big Rick (as posted in the other branch),

  24. #24
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    Hi Max

    You should have a button marked Fn and the word Numlock in coloured type
    at the base of a key somewhere.
    Press both, and it should activate M as 0, JKL as 123, UIO as 456 with
    the number keys 789 being 789.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

  25. #25
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    My Dell has small colored numbers on the letter keys, matching Roger's
    scenario, where all that's necessary is to hold the Fn key (right of the
    left Ctrl key) and the <Alt> key, and then use those colored numbers.

    RD

  26. #26
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    Thanks, Roger & RD ! With your help, think I got it <g>.

    For my m/c (IBM), I had to press Shift + ScrLk to toggle
    (the tiny "Numlk" appears above "ScrLk" in white)

    And the numeric* keypad numbers appear in white too (no color),
    albeit in "subscript" form.

    *as explained in Roger's response:
    > .. M as 0, JKL as 123, UIO as 456 with
    > > the number keys 789 being 789.

    Cheers
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  27. #27
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    "Max" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > (My guess is you either didn't pre-format H1:H10 beforehand, or you might
    > have tried out the inputs elsewhere .. in A1, A2?? [I dunno]. But don't

    ask
    > me why Bob prefers "H1:H10" instead of "A1:A10" as the assumed source

    input
    > range <g>)

    A1:A10 is boring <vbg>

  28. #28
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    In that case, why would you want the wrap-around?

    Bob Phillips

  29. #29
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    Hi Roger,

    I look forward to that.

    Tanglefoot, Wadworths 6X, topped off with a decent pint of Director's if we
    can find it. We also have a local Ringwood micro-brewery which does a nice
    ale.

  30. #30
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    Hmmm....

    I can see the absolute merit of Dave's keeping the date in a format for
    use in further calculations (how are we going to do all those SP
    formulae otherwise Bob<vbg>).
    I can also see the OP's desire for having a nice formatting.

    Me, Id' just have a good old compromise and do both. Have a hidden
    column B and write the date value to that cell from my code,
    unformatted, and then use that column if I needed to do any
    calculations.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:%[email protected]...

  31. #31
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    I agree with the merit of saving the original data, but my point was that if
    it doesn't allow the column width to be reduced, what is the point of having
    it wrap to multiple lines, why not just use a simple form of 'dddd dd mmmm
    yyyy' which still preserves the data. That is why I never use that
    technique, I see absolutely no merit in it. A typical example of a good idea
    badly implemented in Excel IMO (... don't get me started on charts and pivot
    tables <vbg>).

    Regards

    Bob

    news:e2B%[email protected]...

  32. #32

    Re: Date Formatting

    No other reason than "just because".

    Actually, I like this format much better:
    dddd* mm/dd/yyyy

    But that's just my opinion.

  33. #33
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    "Dave Peterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Actually, I like this format much better:
    > dddd* mm/dd/yyyy

    So do I.

  34. #34
    Big Rick
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    I did finally get Bob' code to work by pre formatting the cells. As you can
    see from the previous post, I was trying to input the date into cell H1.
    Thanks for the suggestions as to why it didnt work. Many thanks to Bob also.

    Many Regards
    --
    Big Rick

  35. #35
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Date Formatting

    Glad to hear you got it to work!
    And thanks for posting back

    > As you can see from the previous post,
    > I was trying to input the date into cell H1 ...

    Yes, you did. Overlooked this earlier, apologies
    --
    Max
    Singapore