fraction getting convered into date

  1. #1

    Question fraction getting convered into date

    I have been working a spreadsheet and I just noticed that in one of my rows which has fractions in it (for example, 08/1, 11/1, 12/1) a few of the cells have been converted into a date.

    Like, 8/1 is now 8/1/2006 and in the cell it comes up as 1-Aug, 11/1 is now 11/1/2006 and in thje cell it comes up as 1-Nov

    Fractions that are higher than 12 like 14/1 and 15/1 are still the same, I am guessing this is because we don't have a 14th or a 15th month in a year

    I tried to reformat these sells to a number but that did not help. All it did was that It solved the date i.e. 11/1/2006 turns into 30922.00

    Is there any way in excel where my fractions won't turn into dates or get solved?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: fraction getting convered into date

    Select the cells and pull-down:

    Format > Cells.. > Fraction and enter up to two digits (at least) before
    entering information into the cells.
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    yup that worked. Thanks a lot.

    Had one more question.

    I have a column of numbers which are percentages
    1%
    2%
    3%
    4%
    and so on

    is there a way to format this column as a number so that I can eliminate the % sign without converting the %age into a decimal form?

  4. #4
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: fraction getting convered into date

    Format -> Cells -> Number tab ->Category Number -> Choose the # of decimal
    places you want to use.
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5

    Thumbs up