How do you use filter to view duplicated records in Excel?

  1. #1
    Sharon
    Guest

    How do you use filter to view duplicated records in Excel?

    I have a large list of customer name and phone numbers that is continuously
    being added in bulk from other worksheets. I need to be able to check that
    the records are not being duplicated. I would appreciate any help you could
    give me..

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    If you want to find "UNIQUE" Records - you can select the Column - then DATA - FILTER - ADVANCED FILTER - Then Check the "UNIQUE" records and then copy that list and paste into a new WORKSHEET.
    If you want to find "Duplicates" the easiest way I have found is to sort your records on the column you want to check. Then have the cell above the records you want to check for duplicates as a "blank" or a column Title. For this example I would start the records you want to check at Cell A2 (you always want a Not Dup for your first value): Then enter the following formula in whatever column you want and copy it down the list:
    =IF(A2=A1,"Dup","Not Dup"). You Can enter whatever values you want for "DUP" and "Not Dup"

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: How do you use filter to view duplicated records in Excel?

    If this was something I had to do frequently, I would use Jim Cone's fine
    commercial Add-in called XL Companion.
    Available at:
    http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware/

    Vaya con Dios,