location of cell

  1. #1

    location of cell

    Hi, I am trying to find the cell location of the largest number in a colume. I put: =ROW(LARGE(C4:C75, 1))
    it keeps saying my formula contains an error, what function can I use to find out the cell location ? please let me know. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: location of cell

    =3+MATCH(MAX(C4:C75),C4:C75,0)

    will give the row

    Bob Phillips

    "owl527" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    top 5 number

    Hi, not only do I want to find the largest number, I actually want to find the top 5 numbers.
    this is what I put:
    =("B"&3+MATCH(MAX(C4:C75),C4:C75,0))
    I want to get the value in this cell (not the number itself but the category the number belongs to). it is giving me the cell location, I am unable to display the value in the cell. How do I do that? PLEASE HELP! thanks!!!!

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: location of cell

    =INDEX($B$4:$B$75,MATCH(LARGE($C$4:$C$75,ROW(A1)),$C$4:$C$75,0))

    and copy down

  5. #5

    location of cell

    it works perfectly fine! thank you....
    But, what does ROW(A1) do? I don't understand why you put it in the formula. Please can you explain? thanks.

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: location of cell

    That is just to return an index into the large function. ROW(A1) returns 1,
    so you get the first largest. When you copy down to the second row, this is
    updated to ROW(A2), which returns 2, so you get the second largest.

  7. #7
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: location of cell

    You can obtain a correctly formed Top 5 list with:

    1. a pivot table or
    2. a formula system.

    For the latter, see my post in:

    http://tinyurl.com/44ywo

  8. #8

    top 5 of a col

    Can someone plese help?

    Hi, this is similiar to what I am looking for, HOWEVER, I guess mine is a bit more complicated because I have an extra column. e.g.
    Column 1 - Countries (HK, US, UK)
    Column 2 - Products (Banana, Apple, Orange, Grapes, Carrot, Potato, Tomato)
    Column 3 - values (numbers)

    I would like to sort the top 5 product Per country.

    Sample end result:
    HK
    Banana 240
    Apple 137
    Tomato 122
    Orange 82
    Apple 23

    Please help! thanks!!!
    Last edited by owl527; 01-12-2006 at 11:02 PM.

  9. #9
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: location of cell

    You could try the pivot table approach to create Top 5 lists per country.

    --

    [1] The SumProduct function should implicitly coerce the truth values to
    their Excel numeric equivalents.