Validation Question....Can this be done?

  1. #1

    Question Validation Question....Can this be done?

    I got a basic spreadsheet, with validations. There is a cloumn with the validation list, listing all common IT problems we experience - Hardware, PC, Mice, Keyboard, printers.

    I want an option at the bottom "Add New", once clicked it will allow you to enter a new entry in the validation list.

    Any ideas how I would do this?

    Cheers
    Harps

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Validation Question....Can this be done?

    Create a range with those items, say M1:Mn.

    then add a dynamic range, Insert>Name>Define Name with a name of say
    ITProblems and a RefersTo value of

    =OFFSET($M$1,,,COUNTA($M:$M),1)

    then just use =ITProblems in the Data Validation List textbox.

    You button should just add the value to the bottom of the range.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    thanks for your reply - got most of your instructions, wasn't sure about the button?? I dont have a button, I was hoping, in the validation list, if i an option "add new", a prompt box could come up, you type it in and then it adds it into the list?