Inserting foreign/special characters from a database

  1. #1

    Inserting foreign/special characters from a database

    I'm extracting a record set from an oracle database but I am getting the following error on specific records when trying to insert a string from the database into a cell:

    Run-time error: '1004'
    Application-defined or object-defined error

    It failed on one record so I excluded and then failed again on another. In both instances it was when trying to insert a string which contained the "§" character.

    ActiveCell.Offset(R, 7).Value = rsOra![Summary]

    When importing you get to choose your "File Origin" which as I understand is to define the character set to use, however, I can't find an option to check what character set is currently being used or to change it. I may be on the wrong path though.

    If anyone has any thoughts on the subject, I would appreciate the help!

    Thanks
    Kelly

  2. #2
    OK - please ignore. It was to do with the fact that it was recognising the row as the start of a function. Workaround was to place an apostrophe in front to force it as a text insert.

  3. #3
    John.Greenan
    Guest

    RE: Inserting foreign/special characters from a database

    try this

    ActiveCell.Offset(R, 7).Value = "'" & rsOra![Summary]

    The change is a single quote character between double quotes. That inserts
    the value as text; should resolve this.

    Good luck.

    --
    www.alignment-systems.com