I'm Lost!!!

  1. #1

    I'm Lost!!!

    I know there could quite possibly be a or several threads about this not so cheery subject but I'm new..*waves Hi*...and I don't know what else to do other than post and hope my question gets answered. I've been trying to do this myself and so far no luck.

    Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Hours
    Start End Start End Start End Start End Start End
    9:00 5:00 9:00 5:00 etc.. etc.. boss wants "hours worked" under Hours...go figure

    I use Excel on my boss' laptop and he wants to be able to see how many hours are going into one employee. That's it. I thought it was gonna be easy for me...it probably is but I might be missing something. I've formatted my cells to the Time "function" 13:30..tried 1:30pm but the values couldn't be figured cuz of the pm aspect. Can I still use 1:30pm Time function to get the figures i would like to see? If not can I convert "army time" to real time cuz it's gonna confuse the hell out of some employees. I've never used Excel to this degree before. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated cuz I'm lost. To sum up...I want to add the shifts for the week together and when I look at the Hours column I see 40 or 42 or 38 for the week..not VALUE or ######. I normally don't use Excel for any purpose really but my boss has given me reason. If there's confusion..please say so and I'll try to clear it up as best as I can.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Format your Cells so the time shows up as HH:MM:SS - there is an option for this: Select all of your Cells and/or columns - then go to the MENUBAR and Select FORMAT - CELLS - Number - then under "Category" Select TIME and then under TYPE select something that looks like 13:30:55 and this should work for you. There might be another way to do it under CUSTOM - but this should work for you.
    If your values are as follows:
    A---------B---------C-------D
    Start-----End------Start----End
    Your formula should look something like this:
    =(B1-A1)+(D1-C1), and so on and so on
    You do not need the () around the (B1-A1), etc. I think it makes it easier to read.
    Don't forget to format the column or cells where your final results are displayed.

  3. #3
    Kleev
    Guest

    RE: I'm Lost!!!

    I don't quite understand what you are asking, but if you are having problems
    with entering 1:30pm try adding a space before pm, i.e. 1:30 pm. Now when
    you look at the format for the cell it should directly display as a time
    format.

    HTH

  4. #4
    Forum Expert Cutter's Avatar
    Ontario,Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    6,451
    Use the AM/PM format for your start and end entries. If you're having trouble entering them just remember that you have to type the colon to separate the hour and minutes and after the minutes type a space before typing the am or pm.

    In your Hours cell to total the employees' hours you have to format it with a custom format as [h]:mm

    Use the formula that wjohnson gave you.

    Now your boss will be happy with your Excel expertise and give you more problems to solve ;-)