Auto populate several cells based on a selection from drop down li

  1. #1
    Sheldon
    Guest

    Auto populate several cells based on a selection from drop down li

    I'm working on creating a form in Excel that needs to contain different
    information in the body of the form based on the selection from a drop down
    list. for example: if i choose "C2" from the drop down list then I want cell
    A5 to fill with "The car sped by at 55 mph." and cell B5 with "puppies sure
    are cute." and cell A6 with "crack is whack." and cell B6 with "I'm so hungry
    I could eat a horse." All of this fill-in information would be on another
    worksheet.

    Thanks for any help.
    Sheldon

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Auto populate several cells based on a selection from drop down li

    I would recommend creating a VLOOKUP table with all your options, and then
    using various VLOOKUP formulas to find the selections you want for each
    cell....such as

    =VLOOKUP(a1,YourLookupTable,4,FALSE)

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Texas

    several answers

    If all the various cells respond the same way every time to each selection, that is, if "B5" always says "puppies are cute" whenever "C2" is selected, then yes this can be done with nested IF stmts, or Vlookup, etc. in each of the response cells. The dropdown box has a cell link in its control that changes value based on the selection. For instance, if "C2" is your first selection in the dropdown, the link cell value will be "1". If you choose the second selection, let's say it is "D3", then the link cell value will be "2", etc.

    That link cell value can be used to determine the value you enter into the various response cells - as I said by a Vlookup, IF stmts, etc.

    I hope that helps.

  4. #4
    Sheldon
    Guest

    Re: Auto populate several cells based on a selection from drop dow

    Thanks. This is very helpful. I think I'll go the IF stmt route. Have a great
    weekend.