Adding alternate columns

  1. #1

    Adding alternate columns

    I work on a schedule where I record ticket count and ticket sales for each show, listed chronologically.

    Column A = week ending date

    Column B = # Tickets sold for April 5 show
    Column C = Ticket Revenue for April 5 show

    Column D = # Tickets sold for April 9 show
    Column E = Ticket Revenue for April 9 show

    Column F = # Tickets sold for April 12 show
    Column G = Ticket Revenue for April 12 show

    Column H = Total # Tickets sold for all shows
    Column I = Total Ticket Revenue for all shows

    In the Totals columns, the Total Tickets formula is "+B4+D4+F4", and the Total Revenue formula is "+C4+E4+G4" and so on for each row....

    When I get a new show that occurs chronologically in between two existing shows, I insert two columns in the appropriate place and then input my new data. Every time I do this, however, I have to adjust my Totals formulas to include those new columns (and so each time a show is added, the Totals formulas get longer).

    Is there a formula I can substitute in my Totals columns that will automatically include new columns?

  2. #2
    pinmaster
    Guest

    RE: Adding alternate columns

    Not sure what your column headers are but let's assume that one is "Tickets"
    and the other "Revenue" then the formula would be:

    =SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:G$1="tickets"),$A2:G2)
    =SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:G$1="revenue",$A2:G2)
    leave the reference to column A (date column) in the formula, that way you
    can insert columns anywhere between column A and your totals columns without
    messing up the results.

    HTH
    JG

  3. #3
    Brilliant.

    Thank you!

  4. #4
    JG

    Would you mind explaining the role/purpose of the "--" in your formula?