Incorrect Formula Error

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Incorrect Formula Error

    Cell 'Import Sheet'!X2 contains text in both uppercase, propercasing, and lowercasing....such as YES, NO, Yes, No, yes, no, Unknown

    I am trying to write a formula that will convert everything to uppercase...trim to just the 1st character...then determine if Y then result is Y...if N then result is N...if anything else it is blank

    =IF((PROPER(LEFT('Import Sheet'!X2,1)))="Y","Y",(PROPER(LEFT('Import Sheet'!X2,1)))="N","N","")

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Incorrect Formula Error

    You forgot the second IF
    =IF(PROPER(LEFT('Import Sheet'!X2,1))="Y","Y",IF(PROPER(LEFT('Import
    Sheet'!X2,1))="N","N","?"))
    But why bother, Excel is not case sensitive, so this gives same result
    =IF(LEFT('Import Sheet'!X2,1)="Y","Y",IF(LEFT('Import
    Sheet'!X2,1)="N","N","?"))
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor

    Still not working

    The formula you suggested is working if the first letter is Y....but if the first letter is N or something else I get #REF